XXVIII • BAG OF COBRAS

twenty-eight | sac de cobras

Mikaelson Compound

Many ordinary young people, undeniably workers and caterers, are walking around the excessively spacious courtyard, decorating for the celebration tonight after they have renewed the place, as Klaus Mikaelson seems to be chiseling a large ice sculpture when his brother Elijah is walking towards him after he has paid Vincent Griffith an early morning visit at his home.

"Ah, you've outdone yourself." The older Original casually mentioned him.

Klaus doesn't even bother to turn around to face him, "I'm inclined to agree. It's such a shame these lovely linens will soon be red with blood."

Elijah touches the cold ice sculpture with his right index finger, "Violence must only be seen as a last resort, it will only weaken our position."

"Yes, please. I intend to better our reputation for tonight." Monique piped in as she walks down a set of stairs to join them, a designer handbag in hand.

She earns a smile from Elijah, "And where do you think you're going?"

"I think I'm going to Nathan's to pick up my dress." Monique simply replied.

"Speaking of reputations, well, I'm a creature of very specific habits." Klaus points the chisel at his brother, who snatches it from his hand and starts to walk away from him and toward the young woman watching them instead.

"Brother, please, remember that the point of tonight is to create a false sense of security. A little music, a little champagne, some stealthy reconnaissance...no bloodshed." Elijah turns around and points the chisel at him in return like a sword with a smug smile, waving it as one would wag their finger while scolding a child, "Do we understand each other?"

Klaus walks towards them as Elijah grabs a glass bottle of expensive champagne from a young male worker at a booth while he leaves a kiss on Monique's left cheek, to which the lovely smile on her face only grows.

"They threatened me. They threatened my child. Bloodshed is inevitable." He has to shed some blood to protect Hope, even Hayley, his own family.

"If so, then please do so with extreme caution." Monique advised him.

"And how do we protect Hope from all of this?" Elijah spoke their mind.

Klaus seems to be at a loss of words as he goes to say something but stops.

"She worships you, Niklaus. And she must not see the monster." Elijah said.

Klaus places his arms on the table and rests his nose against his hands as though he's silently praying and begins to talk in a frustrated tone of voice.

"I do not wish for her to see me as a monster, but I cannot sit idly by while threats to our family go unanswered." He has to spill blood somehow.

"They won't. Now let me do this." Elijah places his left hand on his troubled brother's shoulder reassuringly, "Please. And should any turmoil arise, should anyone dare to disrupt our kingdom, let them answer to me." Only.

Klaus looks at him with a small nod while Monique goes to walk toward the back entrance to leave. Hours later, once early night time has fallen, the whole place is decorated and filled with people, mingling, many vibrant balloons are coloured in the theme of Mardi Gras, musicians playing lively jazz and many people socializing and drinking champagne. Elijah, in his signature smart suit, and Monique, now in a long elegant evening sleeveless black dress with V-neck lace, her golden brown locks styled in a medieval halo crown braid, are greeting most of the guests who show up together, including Sebastian and Gia among them, and showing them around.