XXVI • KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE

twenty-six | gardiens de la maison

Mikaelson Compound

"Home sweet home." Monique Deveraux declared as they walk in through the main entrance and into the courtyard, trailed after by the brothers.

"Once the pride of our family, now a flophouse." Klaus Mikaelson continued.

"Indeed, the mighty have fallen." Elijah added on as the trio examine the remains, mostly thick dust, debris, overgrown plants, of the courtyard.

"Where's Vincent?" Hayley Kenner hurries past them with her child, who's securely wrapped in her own thick cotton white blanket, in her safe arms and lays her down on a thick black sheet on the floor to keep her warm.

"Right here." Victoria Labonair walks in with the former Regent trailing after her, "I came here as soon as I got the message. How is she?" She walks toward the seven-year-old, in which she kneels next to her and gently places the palm of her right hand over the girl's forehead for the temperature.

A shaky sigh of nervousness leaves Hayley, "Not good. She has a fever." A magical affliction, according to Freya, considering her daughter is a witch.

"Yeah, but you can cure her, right?" Monique asked the former Regent.

Victoria shares a look with him for a moment, "We'll do everything we can."

"Now the only question is whether or not you guys are going to keep your word. As soon as I'm finished healing your kid, you got to leave the city." Considering it seems that no one should know they're staying; Vincent said.

"Because everybody hates us. Yeah, it just rolls off the tongue by now." They're used to the resentment; Monique nods in well-understanding.

"It's just that Marcel's insecure that you guys are back. Again. Of course, his precious reputation is the most valuable thing in the world. He doesn't want anybody to know that he was the one who asked him to send the message." Victoria casually informed them as she avoids eye contact with the witch.

A genuinely tired sigh leaves Monique, clearly unsurprised by this, "Of course. Because it concerns Hope, who's practically his sister." Technically.

Vincent looks at the rare hybrid in utter disbelief, "You were following us."

"Well, somebody's got to look out for you, and neither of us in this room actually trusts Marcel, the big bad beast, anymore." Victoria simply shrugs.

A short laugh escapes Monique as she watches her, "Well done, Victoria."

"Yes, well, we're not going to stay, are we? Your city has lost its charm." The Original hybrid snapped, his voice raised, as he looks at the former Regent.

Hayley quickly piped in to defend the anxious father of her child, "What he means to say is that we're very grateful, just help her and we'll leave."

"Just give us what we need, and we will do so, happily." Elijah asked him.

"Excuse me." Crows are heard squawking overhead as Vincent kneels down near the weak seven-year-old girl, "Okay." He rubs his hands together before he starts lightly clapping them together quickly, "Nettoyer timoun sa a..."

Hope nervously looks up at her undeniably anxious mother, "Mom?"

"Is she okay?" Monique asked the former Regent, deeply concerned.

Vincent gets back up on his feet, "That's it. Your little girl's purified."

A relieved sigh leaves Klaus as the witch goes to stand near him, watching as the mother rushes over to kneel before her own daughter, "Thank you."