07. BRIGHT

· 。゚☆: *.☽
▎ 𝑭 𝑨 𝑹 𝑭 𝑹 𝑶 𝑴 𝑵 𝑶 𝑹 𝑴 𝑨 𝑳 ▎
𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 ━━ BRIGHT.
࿔·゚*ೃ࿐ ࿔* 🎸🥁🎤🎶

and when i feel lost and alone,i know that i can make it 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲  ・ 。゚☆: *

i know that i can make it 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲
・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

"HOW did you not notice who the boys were when you first saw Reggie and Luke?" Julie met Ashley's gaze in the mirror as she tied her hair up into a ponytail, taking Ashley by surprise as the question had come out of nowhere.

It was the day after Ashley's miracle run-in with her brother and his band and Julie was going to spend the day fighting for her place on the music program. Luke had given her a song called 'Bright', a song which he had written originally for Sunset Curve but never got to record, which he said would be perfect for Julie's range and she had told him she would try it.

Ashley had come to Julie's home earlier than usual on request of the girl herself - Flynn had agreed to make her own way to school just for that day, so Julie and Ashley could talk - and Ashley knew it was because Julie had questions.

After yesterday, Ashley was pretty sure everyone had questions.

"I never knew what the boys were called or what they looked like." Ashley let out a sigh as she played with her fingers in her lap. "My parents didn't keep pictures of the band in the house, just Alex. I never even knew what the band was called before yesterday and I didn't know who to ask or where to go for answers.

"My parents were always awkward about telling me too much because they didn't want me to 'dwell on what was already lost' as they always used to say. At least, that's what my dad said. It was an unwritten rule of our household. My mom would've been pretty lenient about giving up information if she hadn't been too anxious to break the house rules. She loves my dad and breaking that one important rule would really upset him. I wouldn't want to upset him either.

"When I was old enough to understand why there were pictures of a boy who looked just like me scattered about the house, they told me that I had had a brother and he had passed away when he was seventeen in some kind of accident.

"They told me he was in a band and that he was a drummer, but when I asked what the band was called they wouldn't tell me. When I asked them whether they had any of his music or his band's music, they told me they didn't want me listening to the band's songs as they were gone and weren't coming back and there was no use dwelling on it. It made sense but it hurt more.

"But they let me have the recordings of Alex playing the drums. He used to record himself on one of those small handheld recorders and my parents kept them all. It's how I taught myself rhythm on the guitar. I would listen to his drum recordings every night and try to match my guitar playing with his beat. It's how most of my songs are written, with his drums. He taught me everything I know."