17. FAMILIAR FACES

· 。゚☆: *.☽
▎ 𝑭 𝑨 𝑹  𝑭 𝑹 𝑶 𝑴  𝑵 𝑶 𝑹 𝑴 𝑨 𝑳    ▎
𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ━━ FAMILIAR FACES.
࿔·゚*ೃ࿐ ࿔*   🎸🥁🎤🎶

grief changes 𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗽𝗲 butit never truly ends  ・ 。゚☆: *

it never truly ends
  ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

AFTER ten minutes of Ashley driving through town, Reggie and Alex dictating the way through the winding streets from the backseat - Ashley wondered to begin with whether they would even be able to use the car, but she had been proven wrong - all four of them were standing outside a small home, each of them hiding behind their own tall, potted plant as not to be seen.

The house was nice and Ashley felt like she recognised it for some reason.

While they were standing outside the windows, they could see through to where Luke was sitting on a kitchen counter, just watching the two people inside the house - he looked as if he had been crying and, despite wanting to be angry at him for what he had done, Ashley wished she could reach out and hold him.

When Ashley got a closer look at the two older people in the home such a sharp bolt of recognition burst through her that she actually yelped out in pain. Both Alex and Reggie looked at her with concern in their eyes, but she waved them off.

Ashley knew that woman.

"So, Emily's his mom?" Julie was the first to speak.

"Yeah." Alex's voice burst from behind his plant. "Luke comes here a lot."

"He thinks we don't know, but-" Reggie paused to glance at the three people crouched beside him- "we've been following him. All he does is just hang out like this and watch them. They never really do anything though."

"This is Luke's mom?" Ashley puffed out a breath she didn't even know had been sitting on her chest. "I can't believe it. I knew I recognised the house. For a long time, my mom would bring me here on the first Sunday of every month and we would spend like four hours here with them, just my mom and me. I was always too young to understand what my mom and Luke's mom were talking about or why we came and when we stopped coming I didn't dwell on it."

"Mom brought you here?" Alex looked across to Ashley.

"Yeah." Ashley breathed the word out in a whisper, still too shocked to raise her voice any more than that. "The whole time I thought it was just a work friend, all the things they used to talk about, all the times they would cry. I never understood it. And now? Now I know why. They were talking about you guys."

Reggie looked across to Ashley but she wasn't looking at him.

"They're having cake." Ashley took her eyes off Luke for a moment to watch as Luke's parents slid a chocolate cake onto their kitchen table. "That's something."