Chapter 1: Savvy

"Shut up, shut up, shut up!" My hand is flying around my dresser in an attempt to find my phone and shut off the most obnoxious alarm known to mankind. Why, oh why, did I set my alarm last night? Probably out of habit but Jesus Christ it was the worst possible thing to do with a hangover. My head was pounding and the sound was not helping! Miraculously, I found my phone with my eyes closed and peeked through one eye to turn it off. Ow. The sunlight was too much. "Mmmm," I groaned, turning on my back and throwing my arm over my eyes. Jeez. What in the world did I drink last night? Letty-my best friend and roommate- and I had gone out to a party last night. Thus, the hangover.

I reluctantly get up, dragging my body along like I'm a damn zombie. God, I'm getting old. I peek my head into Letty's room but it's empty. A few nights ago, on Halloween, I had convinced her to sleep with the guy she hated since freshman year, Brooks. If she wasn't here I would hope that she would be getting it on with him but she was most likely in class. Luckily for me it was my free day which meant that I could stay in my lounge clothes all day, reading and stuffing my face with food.

I shuffled over to the bathroom, stripping off my clothes off at the pace of a snail. Ugh, my body hurt. What the hell was in that punch? I turned the dial to the shower all the way to hot. I needed it to scorch off whatever alcohol was left in my body. The steam from the shower engulfed the bathroom before I stepped in and I let out a sigh of relief when the water hit my body. "Oh that feels good." I relaxed under the water, taking much longer than I should have relishing in the feeling of my muscles relaxing.

When I finally left the shower I felt refreshed and ready for the day. Sort of. The hangover was still lingering but it was no where near how I had felt earlier. I grabbed my lounge clothes, the first book I could find and plopped myself on the couch. Ooh a murder mystery, awesome.

I was twenty pages in and a handful of pretzels deep when there was a knock on the door. I groaned, "Great. Just when it was getting to the good part." With a huff, I throw off my blanket and drag my feet to the door after placing my bookmark in its spot. "Letty, if you forgot your damn key again you owe me a bottle of wine for interrupting my book!" I yell as I make my way to the knocking. The moment I look through the peep hole I'm stunned in place. I take a step back, searching around my apartment like it's going to tell me what to do. I look down at my outfit and blush. Hard. Hitting my head, cursing myself for my outfit of choice, another knock comes at the door and I let out a deep sigh. I shake off the tension, the fear and take a deep breath. What in the world is he doing here? I grip the door and pull it open.

Six-foot-two. Chocolate brown hair, just long enough to touch the tops of his ears. Smoky gray eyes that could pierce into your soul. Muscles so defined he looked like he was carved from stone. With his sharp, square jaw line and his pert nose, he looked like a character from one of my books. Nathaniel Burrows. Nate. Brooks' best friend was standing in my doorway and I hadn't a clue why.

We had only spoken a handful of times due to Letty and Brooks' outings but we're not friends. I mean, hello, have you seen the guy? He's like sex on wheels. Totally and extremely fucking gorgeous. Sure, I could pull myself together, get sluttied up and have guys hit on me all night. But this was not a night out. No, this was an all day, lost in the cave where no one could ever see me, day in and I looked like complete shit. Of course one of the hottest guys on campus would show up at my door. Of course.

"Nate?" I applaud myself for sounding nonchalant. I'm freaking the fuck out.

"Hey," he smiles at me, holding up a brown paper bag in his hands, "I figured you might need a hangover cure." I can't help but smile at him. Ugh! He's so perfect! When Letty and Brooks started doing-whatever it is that they're doing- they inadvertently pulled Nate and I into it. Anytime we cross paths we'll talk to each other and laugh about how stupid our best friends are being but we've never actually hung out alone. Just the two of us.

"How did you know where I lived?" Nate looks down hiding his face from my wondering eyes. Is he blushing? "Ummm. I might have...can I come in? I promise I'll tell you." He chuckles.

I nod, opening the door to let him inside. As he passes me, he smirks looking me up and down, "Nice unicorns. Hope I'm not interrupting anything?" My face turns beet red and I scoff my giant, white, fluffy unicorn slippers. I hadn't expected to have company today. I don't have any classes so I've been a hermit lounging in my unicorn slippers, shorts and tank top. With no bra. Oh my god, I'm not wearing a bra! My tank top is mesh white, with a unicorn face plastered in the middle of my chest and it's one-hundred percent see through. Great. He can see my fucking nipples. What's the point in wearing the damn shirt! This just keeps getting better.

I cross my arms over my chest, praying to anyone who can hear me that it covers my breasts, at least somewhat. Nate doesn't seem to notice or if he does he doesn't say anything. I clear my throat, "Nope. Was just relaxing and lounging around. I don't have any classes today." He smiles at me, "Yeah, me either. Just practice. But I wanted to make sure you were okay."

My eyes widen a little, "You did?" Nate chuckles, "Yeah. I did." I look down at the floor, I can feel my cheeks burning but I'm trying not to take his words too seriously. He's Nate Burrows for Gods sakes. One of the big star hockey players at Sterling U and an even bigger ladies man. He seems like a genuinely sweet guy, definitely easy on the eyes, but this could just be part of his game. I take a deep breath and decide that I don't want to play. "How'd you get my address, Nate?"

"I like your glasses, Savvy. I didn't know you wore them." I touch my face. I forgot I still had them on. Lifting them to my head, I narrow my eyes at him, "How'd you know where I live, Nate?" He stares at me for a second and this time I do see the blush on his cheeks.

Nate lets out a breath, "I asked around, okay? I didn't have your number and Brooks was busy with Letty and I just....I don't know. You seem cool. I like when we have our little chats and I wanted to make sure you were okay." I raise an eyebrow at him before smiling. He asked around?

"Yeah. I'm good. Thanks. What's in the bag?" I gesture over to the brown paper bag sitting on my countertop. "It's hangover food." Nate smiles as if that explains everything. I quirk my eyebrow, he lets out a sigh and says, "It's a bacon, egg and cheese on a bagel from Lockey's up the road and then there's some fries and ginger ale from the diner." He pulls out the food, placing it down on the counter and I watch him, smirking.

"And what if I said I don't eat bacon, eggs or cheese?" Nate frowns and his face flushes. It's the cutest thing I think I've ever seen and I can't take it anymore. "I'm just kidding," I laugh, "that actually sounds delicious. I just wanted to see what you would do." He lets out a breath, shaking his head, "That was fucked up! You had me there for a second." I laugh, reaching for the delicious smelling bagel that already has my mouth watering. "What do I owe you?" Nate shakes his head, "Nothing. Like I said, I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Aright," I drag out the word. Eyes narrowing at him while he smiles back at me, "I feel like you want something else though." And for the second time in ten minutes I see Nate blush, "Maybe."

"Mmm. And pray tell, what would that be?"

He shrugs, "I don't know. I was thinking maybe we could hang out? I usually go to Brooks' but since he's with Letty or whatever they're doing, I tend not to go at night anymore lately. So...I was just wondering if you maybe...wanted to...hang out? We could just hang here or at the frat house? Or if you wanna go somewhere public we can grab something to eat?" My heart literally stopped beating and I know my mouth has opened in shock.

It's not that I'm afraid to hang out with Nate but I'm so stunned that 1. He's here right now and 2. That he literally just asked me to hang out like it's no big deal. Before my mind can catch up and make me say something stupid I nod. Nate smiles, "Okay, great. So I guess I'll just text you or something so we can chill? Here, put your number in my phone." He hands me his phone and almost on auto pilot I punch in my numbers. I hand it back watching as Nate looks at his phone before smiling back at me.

"Alright, well, I gotta get to practice but I'll text you later, Savvy. I'll be seeing you." I nod again, blink and he's our the door. I stand there, bagel in hand, mouth agape, staring at my apartment door. What. The fuck. Just. Happened?