ii. 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍 𝚎𝚡𝚙𝚘 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚘𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚛𝚘𝚠

EVELYN'S HANDS were pushed away from Steve's hair by the man as he sent her a scowl. Raising her hands in mock surrender, she opened her clutch to find her small mirror. Steve rose a brow as she frowned at herself, the loudness of the crowd drowned out as he saw her sigh. It seemed like it was just the two of them in the world as they were waiting for Bucky to return from getting popcorn. He noticed every little thing about her, knowing her for many years now. He knew what she was thinking before she even knew it.

"What's wrong?" Steve asked softly though he knew what it was about as she snapped the mirror shut and stuffed it back into her clutch. "Eve?"

"He pushed it off as long as he could," Evelyn started, her eyes on his figure far away, "but they found him. It wasn't hard. He's engaged to me, one of the leading faces in this war. He was so excited to finally be able to help... he was jealous before, I think, of me for being involved from the beginning."

"He wasn't jealous," Steve said, remembering the conversation he had with his best friend. "He was worried for you. He thinks he'll be shipped out and singlehandedly end the war so you'll be able to be out of the limelight. You're a target, Eve. He hates that. He wants the war over with."

Evelyn scowled as Steve grinned. "He's a man who thinks he'll solve everything on his own." Her face softened as Steve bit back a laugh. She threw an arm around his shoulders. "I wish the war was over, too," she murmured. "I leave for Jersey with Dr. Erskine and Howard in a week. I think I can smuggle you with me."

Steve grinned. "You think?" he asked.

"Hmm," she hummed before leaning her head on his. "I've been thinking you should come anyway."

Before Steve could answer, Bucky walked back to them with popcorn in his hand and a smile on his lips. "Hey, what'd I miss?" he asked, gesturing to the love fest.

Evelyn grinned as she let go of Steve. She pinched Bucky's cheek. "I'm gonna take Stevie with me to Jersey."

"Sure," Bucky said with a roll of his eyes, giving Steve his popcorn. "You should just stay here. I don't see what the problem is. You're about to be the last eligible man in New York. You know, there's three and a half million women here."

Bucky wrapped his arm around Evelyn's waist as Steve shoved his hands into his pockets. Evelyn looked around at all of the work she put into the Stark Expo, smiling at all of the happy folks around them. She sighed contently as Bucky kissed her temple.

"Well, I'd settle for just one," Steve admitted.

"Good thing I took care of that," Bucky said with a wave to the woman they were walking toward. Evelyn's smile fell at the sight of her. She pinched Bucky's side. "Ow, what?" He noticed her look. "Oh, come on, Connie's great."

"She likes you," Evelyn said with a frown before deciding to be the bigger person. "Oh, all right. I'll be nice."

"Thanks, doll," Bucky said with a smile.

"Hey, Bucky!" Connie yelled. Bucky tightened his hold on Evelyn.

"What did you tell her about me?" Steve asked, wishing he let Evelyn fix his hair.

"Only the good stuff," Bucky promised.

When they reached her, she hugged Bucky immediately. Evelyn was pushed aside to Steve who gave her a sympathetic look. When Connie backed away, her smile fell at Evelyn.

"Oh," she started, "I thought you'd be a part of the help with the Expo."

"Nope," Evelyn said with a smile. "I'm here to enjoy it like everyone else. This is Steve—"