lii. 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚛-𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

EVELYN SMILED as she got out of the small car. Immediately, she ran into the arms of Wanda Maximoff. The woman held her tightly, both not having seen each other in a few weeks—months even. She backed off and hugged Clint next, which Sam grinned as Bucky clenched his metal fist at how Clint spun her around excitedly.

"It's been too long, Venus," Clint chirped happily as she let him go.

She grinned. "Whose fault is that? You don't leave your wife and kids anymore," she teased.

Sam clapped Bucky's shoulder as he watched Bucky lose his clenched fist at the word wife. Bucky shoved Sam off of him with a side glare.

"Got responsibilities," he said to her with a shrug before he extended his hand to shake Steve's. "Cap."

"You know I wouldn't have called If I had any other choice," Steve said as their hands dropped.

Clint only shrugged. "Hey man, you're doing me a favor. Besides, I owe a debt."

Steve glanced at Wanda. "Thanks for having my back."

"It was time to get off my ass," Wanda said with a nod as she smiled at Evelyn again. Evelyn backed into Bucky, allowing him to place a hand on her waist to keep her close.

"How about our other recruit?" Steve asked Clint.

Clint opened the van with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "He's rarin' to go. Had to put a little coffee in him, but... he should be good."

Evelyn's eyes widened as she saw a middle-aged man hop off of the van with tired eyes as he glanced around. She realized this was the Scott Lang that Sam spoke about. He stretched a bit as he asked, "What timezone is this?"

"Come on. Come on," Clint said with a roll of his eyes as he tapped his back. It was then that the man noticed Steve and Evelyn.

"Captain America," Scott said as he grabbed Steve's hand to shake it. They were shaking for a long time. "Venus."

"Mr. Lang," Steve greeted.

"It's an honor. I'm shaking your hand too long. Wow! This is awesome!" He finally dropped Steve's hand as his smile grew. "Captain America!" He turned to look at Wanda. "I know you, too. You're great!" He looked back and placed his hands on Steve's shoulders awkwardly. Evelyn sniggered quietly. "Jeez. Ah, look, I wanna say, I know you know a lot of super people, so thinks for thanking of me." He paused to reach for Evelyn's hand. Scott's eyes showed he was a bit afraid of Bucky, so he rose his hand in a slight wave. "Hi! My daughter really looks up to you!"

Evelyn smiled softly. "That's very sweet."

Scott finally turned to Sam. "Hey, man!"

"What's up, Tic Tac?"

"Uh, good to see you. Look, what happened last time when I—"

"It was a great audition, but it'll... it'll never happen again," Sam told him.

"They tell you what we're up against?" Steve asked Scott.

"Something about some psycho-assassins?" Scott questioned.

Steve shared a look of amusement with Evelyn. "We're outside the law on this one. So, if you come with us, you're a wanted man."

Scott seemed to smirk. "Yeah, well, what else is new?"

Bucky's chest vibrated, causing Evelyn to lean her head back as he said, "We should get moving." Evelyn knew he was right.

Clint nodded at him. "We got a chopper lined up."