xxxv. 𝚏𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚒𝚊𝚛 𝚔𝚒𝚜𝚜𝚎𝚜

EVELYN GRIMACED as someone asked her if she was Evelyn Stark. Bucky knew what to do if someone asked that, so he began to walk back to their shared apartment without acknowledging her as they had planned. He paused, knowing he could not really leave her alone in fear someone would take her, so he hid by a corner close enough to hear the conversation.

Evelyn transformed her grimace into a smile as she said, "Sono. Piacere di conoscerti."

(I am. It's good to meet you.)

The people behind the counter grew excited—rapidly asking if Tony Stark was there as well. Some asked about the other Avengers, going into depth about whether Evelyn was an Avenger as well. Evelyn kept the conversation brief (partly because of her limited knowledge of Italian she knew). When she was able to leave the store, plums and strawberries in hand since that was the reason they had went out, Evelyn yelped when Bucky had grabbed her hand to lead them faster to the apartment.

Passing by people, Bucky spoke Russian—something he did when he was stressed and easy to have conversations since the language was foreign there. "Куда мы теперь пойдем?"

(Where will we go now?)

"Я слышал, что Ирландия хороша," Evelyn responded with a teasing grin, trying to show Bucky that there was no reason to be worried. They were already packed anyway. There was no reason to be anxious about getting the hell out of Venice before the photo she was forced to take with those clerks reached the Avengers or the remaining Hydra members.

(I heard Ireland is nice.)

Bucky smirked slightly at her words as they climbed up the stairs at a rapid pace. He could not help but laugh at Evelyn's small giggles that would escape as they rushed to close their vacation bags, as Evelyn called them. Bucky pulled a floorboard up to grab their escape bag, throwing it over his shoulder.

Making sure she had their phones, they left the apartment without much thought to where they had lived for the past three weeks. Walking out of Venice, Evelyn let out a breath of relief at the sight of the jet hidden underneath a large tarp that she had left there when they landed in Italy. Getting inside of it, Bucky frowned as she took off out of Italy just as her phone rang.

Seeing Steve's name, Evelyn bit her lip and picked up the phone. "Hello?" she said as she put it on speaker.

"Tony's very clear that he'll be in Venice in three hours."

"He'll be sad to know that I'm already gone," Evelyn said with a teasing grin Bucky's way. "The trail went cold, so I'm going west again."

"Evelyn," Steve sighed. "I should be helping you search."

"You've got some scepter Avenger stuff to deal with," Evelyn said, glad there was an excuse to keep Steve away for now.

"Yeah, but—No, Nat. Natasha, no. Call her on your own phone," Steve was cut off as Natasha's melodic voice filtered through. "Okay, I'm offended. Everyone got a goodbye but me when you up and left."

"Hey, Natasha," Evelyn said instead as she typed something on the console to make sure there were no other planes in the area. "I promise it was not personal. I had things to do."

"I know. Finding your fiancé. How's that coming?" Natasha asked.

Evelyn looked at Bucky with a smile when she saw his gaze at the skies around them. "I think I'm getting close."

"Good. We need you back here whenever you can," Natasha said with a laugh.

The conversation lasted another five minutes before Steve ripped the phone back and decided to end the call with him giving her his love. It was silent beside Evelyn letting Jarvis make sure she had a clear landing somewhere in Ireland that was a bit off the grid. Bucky was learning to like Jarvis despite his initial fear of the AI.