lxxviii. 𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚌𝚊'𝚜 𝚊𝚜𝚜

EVELYN MADE sure to keep moving as Steve's strides were full of purpose and determination. He and Evelyn were on the lookout for the scepter that would soon be in the hands of HYDRA without their knowledge this year. Evelyn was not even defrosted yet. She almost wanted to laugh at how much things have changed.

"Got to hustle, Cap. Things look like they're just about wrapped up here," Tony told them through the communication devices. Evelyn smiled at how easily Tony and Steve fell back into old habits with their missions. No matter how many fights or how old they all get, the group had such a dynamic that could never be broken.

"Got it. We're approaching the elevator now." Steve held a hand out to stop Evelyn from walking. He stared at her with hesitation. "Remember that--"

"If we come across your old self, hide my face. Got it," Evelyn quoted back the rule he kept implanting in her mind.

Tony's smirk could be heard through the comms as he stated, "Uh, Mr. Rogers. I almost forgot that that suit did nothing for your ass."

"No one asked you to look, Tony."

Evelyn decided to peak over Steve's shoulder to look at Steve's ass in the suit he was wearing now with a shrug as she replied, "Those squat workouts I told him to do worked then."

"It's ridiculous," Tony whispered. "A workout changed that?"

"I think you look great, Cap. As far as I'm concerned, that's America's ass!" Scott's enthusiastic voice confirmed after a moment. Evelyn giggled as they waited for the elevator to open. Steve only gave an unamused shake of his head. "Who are these guys?" she heard Scott ask.

"They are S.H.I.E.L.D.," Tony paused before correcting himself, "Well, actually Hydra. But, we didn't know that yet."

"Seriously, you didn't? I mean... they look like bad guys."

"You're small, but you're talking loud."

Steve glanced at Evelyn's nervous figure. He placed a hand on her shoulder with a supportive smile as they heard Tony tell Scott that he was about to flick him toward 2012 Tony. This meant the Hydra guys were on their way to the floor Steve and Evelyn were on. 

Tony confirmed their thoughts as he stated, "All right, Lynnie. I got our scepter in the elevator just passing the 80th floor."

"On it. Head to the lobby," Steve said just as the elevator dinged in front of them.

"Evidence secure. We're en route to Dr. List. No. No hitches at all, Mr. Secretary," the two supersoldiers could hear Jasper Sitwell. Evelyn could remember his death very vividly. Every Hydra member stopped what they were doing and they could hear a pin drop at the silence. Evelyn walked inside first with Steve following not far after, pressing the lobby.

"Captain," Sitwell began. "Who is this? I thought you were coordinating search and rescue?"

"Change of plans," Steve mumbled with hatred clear in his voice. "This is Agent 3." No one in the elevator was smart enough to recognize Agent 3 as Howard's agent name back in the day when S.H.I.E.L.D. was formed. Evelyn smirked, knowing Steve had read the files. Everyone's guard goes up. 

"Hey, Cap," Rumlow murmured in greeting, his head reaching for his gun.

"Rumlow," Steve greeted back, noticing his hand moving, "I just got a call from the Secretary. I'm gonna be running point on the scepter."

"Sir? I don't understand," Sitwell asked completely confused.

Steve turned to Evelyn, giving her a slight nod. "We got word there may be an attempt to steal it."

"Sorry, Cap. I can't give you the scepter," Rumlow said while shaking his head just as Sitwell added, "I'm gonna have to call the Director."

Steve shook his head. "That's okay. Trust me."

Evelyn grinned, leaning forward, "Hail Hydra."

Everyone looks at the pair in confusion and surprise. Steve grabs the scepter from Rumlow's hands as Evelyn sent a wink at the group. As they walk out of the elevator, both were wearing satisfied smiles. Steve bumped hips with Evelyn. "Good touch."

"Why thank you, Stevie. I thought so too." She grinned even more, glad they had one stone. "Tony?"

"Yello, Lynnie. We are a-go," Tony said before addressing Scott. "Thumbelina, do you copy? I've got eyes on the prize. It's go-time."

"Bombs away. Is... is that Axe body spray?"

Evelyn could not help but laugh because Howard used to do the same with cologne. "Yeah, I had a can just for emergencies. Relax. Can we focus, please?"

"I'm going inside you. Now."

Evelyn and Steve were confused as the comms began to crackle with many people shouting at once. She could hear Tony and Scott yelling at each other, but there were other voices. She even could hear Thor yelling. It was pure chaos. "That's not good," Evelyn murmured to Steve.

"Tony, what's going on? Tell me you found that cube," Steve muttered into the comms just as he felt Evelyn grabbing his sleeve. He looked at her to see her pointing at something ahead of them. He felt himself grow hot with embarrassment at the sight of himself from 2012. "Oh, you gotta be shitting me."

Evelyn bit back a grin as 2012 Steve said, "I have eyes on Loki. 14th floor."

Steve gently put the case with the scepter down as he said, "I'm not Loki. And I don't wanna hurt you."

Suddenly, Steve began to hit Steve and it took everything in Evelyn to not burst out laughing at the sight. When her Steve pushed the other Steve back, the other Steve with his helmet and no ass having self glared at the pair.

"I can do this all day."

Evelyn let a giggle out at the words without much resistance while her Steve was out of breath saying, "Yeah, I know. I know."

Evelyn threw Steve his shield just as Captain No-Ass frisbeed his at the same time. The shield's collided going down a few levels with the scepter's case following once they began to brawl violently. Evelyn gracefully jumped down to the bottom level, her face still covered by the Stark Tech. She saw the scepter had fallen out of the case, so she made it her priority to get it back safely while Steve dealt with his 2012 self.

She yelped in fright as the two Steves fell from above on the ground, a compass falling out of Steve's uniform. She knew it was from her Steve due to the anger on the Masked Captain's face. Evelyn grumbled an 'oh, shit' under her breath while Captain No-Ass asked where Steve got the compass, of course thinking he was Loki.

Evelyn had gotten the scepter safely in her hands with Steve's shield ready to go just as Helmet Head got her Steve in a chokehold. She could see the never-ending battle, so she did the one thing Steve told her not to do.

Evelyn pressed the button on her watch, allowing the nanotech that covered her face to clearly show her features fully. "Steve!"

"Eve?" the past Steve called back brokenly, never forgetting that voice. Both glanced at her, but the 2012 Steve was in so much shock that future Steve managed to break free. Evelyn tossed the scepter at him, allowing him to knock the other Captain America out.

Evelyn took a deep breath, not liking the brokenness in Steve's voice, even if she did not know that Steve. He was her best friend, no matter the era they were in. Her thoughts were broken when Steve glanced down at his fallen counterpart with a smirk, scepter in hand showing they won this battle.

"That is America's ass."

-

A/N... I said Steve 45 times in this chapter... help...