l. 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚘𝚕𝚍𝚒𝚎𝚛

STEVE GRABBED the newspaper on the table. "Why would the Task Force release this photo to begin with?"

"Get the word out, involve as many eyes as we can?" Sharon said with a shrug.

Steve's eyes met Evelyn's. "Right. It's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding. Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier." He paused. "We knew Evelyn was with him. Why didn't anyone try talking to her first? It was rushed and unplanned."

"You're saying someone framed him to find him," Sharon said, believing it.

"Steve, we looked for where they were hiding for two years and found nothing," Sam said causing Evelyn to lift her head up and add, "What?"

Steve sighed, not wanting her to know they had been searching anyway. "We didn't bomb the UN. That turns a lot of heads."

"Yeah, but that doesn't guarantee that whoever framed him would get him. It guarantees that we would."

Evelyn's gaze narrowed at the psychiatrist, not liking him from the beginning.

"Tell me, Bucky. You've seen a great deal, haven't you?" he asked.

"I don't want to talk about it," Bucky said. "Where is Evelyn?"

"She is safe. We just spoke, actually. She says you have not hurt anyone in two years. Is that true?"

Bucky gave a short nod.

"Why don't you tell me about your past?" he asked, but Bucky shook his head. "You fear that... if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop. Don't worry. We only have to talk about one."

Around them, the lights went off. Everyone was shut down, and that included her view on her husband. She stood up worriedly as Ross said, "Great. Come on, guys, get me eyes on Barnes. Go."

"Sub-level 5, east wing," Sharon told Evelyn. The woman took off running, not wasiting a second. Passing a guard, she did not stop at their threats.

Evelyn made it to his chamber before anyone else. She noticed the psychiatrist on the ground, but she paid him no mind when she saw the glass broken. She knew Bucky was the Winter Soldier. She also knew she would be the only one to calm him down.

Steve and Sam arrived, Steve picking up the psychiatrist with a threat leaving his mouth. Evelyn turned just to see Bucky approaching and throwing a punch at Sam.

Bucky wasted no time in throwing Sam aside as if he was nothing. Sam was unconscious as Steve went to fight him.

"James!" Evelyn yelled, ducking as he almost hit her when she got in between Steve and his fight. "Прекрати это."

(Stop this.)

The psychiatrist grinned at her words as he laid on the ground in pain. Bucky stared at her, recognition flowing through his eyes.

"Move," he said to her.

"James," she said again with narrowed eyes.

Bucky shoved her aside as he and Steve began fighting again. Evelyn turned to see if Sam was all right, feeling a pulse which sent a relieved sigh through her mouth. She turned just as a metal arm wrapped around her waist to help her stand.

"James—"

"We're leaving," was all he said as he practically dragged her up the stairs. She did not see Steve anywhere.

Evelyn walked with him because she was not leaving him alone. They made it to the ground floor as Bucky sent three guards flying at once. She did not fight the guards until one tried to punch her. She kicked him away, jumping onto the nearest guard who tried to grab Bucky.

"Fuck," she murmured as she saw Tony and Natasha make it to the floor. "James, we have to go."

Bucky glanced at her as they began to run through the floor toward the staircase that would lead to the roof. "Helicopter," Bucky murmured to her just as Tony walked forward with his hand covered in his Iron Man armor.

He zapped Bucky before Bucky could shoot another guard. "Evelyn! They are going to send you to jail," he sneered. "Stop defending him!"

Evelyn whipped her head to face Tony as he rushed to Bucky. Bucky ducked from a blast while shooting Tony with his handgun. Tony was able to deflect the bullet with his gloved hand. Bucky then threw Tony aside.

"James!" Evelyn scolded, grabbed his arm. "Let's go."

Bucky would have listened to her had it not been for Sharon rushing forward to attack him. Evelyn growled out in annoyance as she shoved Sharon aside. She was not the last one as Natasha quickly landed on Bucky, her legs wrapped around his neck as she punched him repeatedly.

Evelyn dodged a bullet from a guard as Tony stared at her from the ground. She watched his eyes flicker to the handgun in front of him. Both rushed forward, but Evelyn got it first.

"The psychiatrist triggered him," Evelyn told him. "He hasn't hurt anyone in years. You have to believe me."

"I don't," Tony told her, sending a blast her way. She felt Bucky's metal arm throw her aside.

She landed in a crouched position just as T'Challa joined the fight. Looking up, she had Natasha on her next. Evelyn remembered their first fight, so she went for Natasha's weak points. Trying not to do any immediate harm, she twisted her arm back and sent her face into the ground.

"Remember that time we almost got killed by your fiancé? Ah, good times," Natasha growled out.

"It's the psychiatrist. He triggered him!" Evelyn told her, needing someone to believe her. "He doesn't want this life anymore."

Shoving her foot into Natasha's head, she ran off to see Bucky being thrown over a rail. She knew he was going to the roof for the helicopter, so she turned and ran without waiting to see T'Challa's face.

As she was running, she ran right into Sam. Sam grabbed her arms, keeping her still. "Come on," he said, pulling her outside. "Steve went after him."

Evelyn felt the twinge in her ankle grow, the adrenaline wearing off as they ran. Evelyn gasped at the sight of the helicopter exploding into the water below. She knew Steve and Bucky were in the water by the looks of it.

Evelyn growled out in pain, rushing forward with Sam following as they saw Steve holding an unconscious Bucky in his arms. Sam grabbed Bucky's other arm as they hurried away from the facility. Evelyn felt her heart break at the memory of Tony and Natasha's eyes when they looked at her. This never should have happened. Taking a deep breath, she was just glad to see Steve and Sam ahead of her—ready to help Bucky.