xix. 𝚌𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚊𝚒𝚗 𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚌𝚊

EVELYN FOUND a new place in Brooklyn not too long after. She had made sure her three framed photos stayed on her new dresser as she made her new place a home. Even though she felt like she would never truly have a home unless it was with Bucky or Steve.

She was hanging up new clothes when she heard her phone going off, which still never failed to scare her.

"God," she muttered, "I need to change that ringtone." She looked at the name to see her nephew. "Tony, hi."

"Hi," he said quickly. "What would you say if I told you I'm dead to the world?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"Have you seen the news?"

"I can't work my television."

Tony snorted.

"The Mandarin attacked my house. Pepper is safe, but I'm in Tennessee. I just wanted you to hear it from me," he said quickly. "I didn't want you to think I was dead."

Evelyn smiled softly. "So, you're okay?"

"I mean, I have a kid getting me things I need. He's pretty cool company. I have Mark 42 with me," Tony replied casually.

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Well, let me know if I can do anything—"

"No, no way. I don't want you involved. You're finally settling in. No one knows your alive yet, so you won't be targeted by this idiot," Tony cut her off and made sure he got his point across. "Just keep your phone on in case I call you. Also, keep an ear out for Pepper if she calls you."

Evelyn nodded. "I will. Thanks for letting me know."

"Yeah, I'm getting used to this family thing," Tony remarked with a chuckle. "See you, Auntie," he teased the name, only ever calling her that to be playful. He normally just called her Evelyn.

Evelyn was about to try and work her television when she jumped again at the sound of her phone. Glaring, she muttered, "I'm going to throw you out of the window!" When she saw it was Nick, she answered it with a sigh. "Hello?"

"Can you get to D.C.?" he asked with a calm tone of voice.

Evelyn bit her lip. "I mean, yeah. It might take me a little bit. I'm still processing how to drive this car Tony bought me."

Nick laughed. "You know, you're a lot funnier with this situation than—" he paused and coughed "—take your time, Agent Stark. I have some people I want you to meet."

Evelyn smiled. "Okay. I'll see you later."

Standing, she paused her decorating process of her home. Getting dressed in jeans and a new jacket of Bucky's that she had found at the apartment, she quickly curled her hair and put on red lipstick. She grabbed her new clutch with the phone and debit card Tony had gotten her that had access to the Stark account. Walking outside, she made sure to lock her apartment up before walking to the car. She stared at it a bit apprehensively, knowing Tony was being nice by choosing it for her, but Evelyn was terrified to crash. She was lucky Jarvis was installed to help when needed.

The drive to D.C. was easier with Jarvis's assistance. With her phone connected to the radio, she had been able to find music from her time that she and Bucky would dance all night to. She smiled, finally beginning to find a sort of closure no matter how depressed she would feel late at night when she longed for his arms to wrap around her and tell her it would be okay.

Parking the car next to a motorcycle, she furrowed her brows at the familiarity of it. Laughing to herself, she realized it reminder her of Steve's bike. "Crazy," she whispered, touching one of the handlebars.