xxvi. 𝚐𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚝 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢

NO MATTER how angry she was at Nick Fury, his death was not something she had hoped for. After Steve and Evelyn had parted ways from Peggy Carter, Evelyn had gone to her home in D.C., but she had not even made it out of her car. After all, she spent almost half an hour sitting there, trying to think of her next course of action regarding Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. Evelyn had received an urgent call from Steve saying Fury was in his apartment when he was killed by a man with a metal arm. Evelyn rushed to the hospital without wasting any time.

When she had gotten there, she pulled her jacket further around her as her heels clicked rapidly on the floor. She found Steve and Natasha staring inside of the room where the surgery was taking place. Agent Maria Hill was there as well. Making it to Steve's side, she placed a hand on the glass with a frown on her face.

"Is he going to make it?" she asked quietly.

"I don't know," Steve answered.

Natasha frowned, distress clear on her face. "Tell me about the shooter."

"He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm," Steve said as he furrowed his eyebrows. Evelyn could tell he was deep in thought as if he almost knew who the shooter was, but it was obvious he did not.

"Ballistics?" Evelyn asked next.

Maria Hill stared at the director with her eyes pooling with tears as well. "Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable."

"Soviet-made," Natasha decided.

"Yeah," Maria agreed. In the surgery room, Fury's health began to deteriorate as the machines began to beep irritably. The nurses were running around in a hurry, trying to keep Fury alive.

"He's in V-tach."

"Crash cart coming in."

"Help me with the drape."

"BP is dropping."

"Defibrillator!" Evelyn crossed her arms over her chest as she watched in fear as he began to flatline. "I want you to charge him at one hundred."

Natasha allowed her distress to show as she said, "Don't do this to me, Nick."

"Stand back! Three, two, one. Clear!" Fury was shocked by the defibrillator. "Pulse?"

"No pulse."

They continued to shock his chest as Natasha continued to mumble, "Don't do this to me, Nick. Don't do this to me." When nothing seemed to work, Evelyn turned her back to the man, lowering her forehead onto her hand. She sighed to herself, not knowing what to do. As they prepped his body to be brought to the morgue, Natasha walked into the room, placing her hand on his head fondly. Steve and Evelyn stayed back, allowing the redhead to mourn quietly as they waited.

Maria walked into the room after a few moments. "I need to take him."

Steve walked over to Natasha, calling her name once. She ignored him, giving one last look to Fury before storming out of the room. Steve ran after her, calling, "Natasha!" Evelyn followed them out just to see Natasha turn with anger in her eyes.

"Why was Fury in your apartment?" Natasha asked him.

Evelyn frowned, wanting to know as well. They had argued with him that afternoon and then went to see Peggy that night. There was no reason for Fury to be with Steve, not really.

"I don't know," Steve lied. Evelyn narrowed her eyes.

Before Evelyn or Natasha could say a word, Rumlow walked forward and yelled, "Cap, they want you back at S.H.I.E.L.D."