xxxi. 𝚏𝚞𝚗𝚎𝚛𝚊𝚕 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚜𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚑

STANDING ON a bridge right outside the cave-like facility, Steve's words hung in the air. She knew he cared for her and Bucky in ways they did not understand, for they were all he had at one point. She knew he was taking it hard, but Evelyn had been through the works thinking everyone she knew was dead. Steve. Alive. Peggy. Old, but alive. Bucky... alive. Hell, was Howard going to appear? She laughed mockingly at the thought.

Staring out into the sky, she remembered the day she found Steve fighting another bully-like man after a rough day at work. She was already in a rotten mood when she found out the news Sarah Rogers had died. She held Steve tightly that day, not ever wanting him to feel alone. It made her want to weep at the thought of Bucky being along for seventy years. When they all promised to stay together for each other, each had separated.

1940; Brooklyn, New York

The funeral for Sarah Rogers was held on a nice weekend. Evelyn and Bucky stayed behind Steve, as close as he would let them get since he was adamant on looking strong in front of Sarah's friends. A few women were shocked—gossiping—when Howard Stark walked through the crowd wearing his best suit, placing a rose on her coffin before whispering something to Steve. Steve nodded, thanking the man.

Howard stood next to Evelyn throughout the service, and Evelyn was so happy he decided to show. After the funeral, Bucky kissed Evelyn's cheek before going to look for Rebecca and his father so that they could drive Steve home.

Howard sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I'm leaving today," he said suddenly causing Evelyn's eyes to widen in confusion. "Needed in Malibu for some company things. I'll be back in a month or so for a weapons presentation in New Jersey. The war is getting real, Lynnie."

Evelyn grabbed his hand, squeezing it. "You'll be careful, won't you?"

Howard smirked. "Always am. Make sure Bucky looks after you."

"Finally beginning to like him?" Evelyn teased as Howard shrugged.

"He's a good man. You know my judgment is best when it comes to the men you date," Howard said, bringing her hand up to kiss it once. "Visit Mom. She misses you."

"I will," Evelyn whispered as he let her hand go. Kissing her cheek, Howard turned to walk off. "Thank you for being here," she called quickly. He turned with a cocked brow. "It meant a lot to him, even if he didn't show it."

Howard saluted her before stuffing his hands in his pockets and walking off.

Evelyn turned when a hand landed on her wrist. Smiling as much as she could at Bucky, she dropped the facade at his words. "He left. Want to walk with me to his?"

"Of course," Evelyn said. "He can't be alone."

Bucky held her hand tight as they hurried to Steve's apartment complex, rushed up the stairs, and saw Steve struggling to find his keys. He paused when he heard the footsteps, already knowing who it was. Bucky bit his lip, letting Evelyn go as he approached Steve carefully.

"We looked for you after. My dad wanted to give you a ride," Bucky said softly.

Steve nodded, guilt crossing his features. "I know, I'm sorry. I just... kind of wanted to be alone."

"How was it?"

"It was okay. She's next to Dad."

Bucky glanced at Evelyn, and she looked conflicted. She gestured to the apartment. "I was gonna ask," Bucky began before Steve cut him off.

"I know what you're gonna say, Buck, I just—"

"We can put the couch cushions on the floor like when we met. A sleepover'll be fun," Evelyn said softly.

Bucky grinned. "All you gotta do is shine my shoes, maybe take out the trash."

Evelyn noticed Steve was still struggling to find his key. She crouched to the ground, moving a brick aside to find the spare. She handed it to him, watching him smile softly at her.

"Come on, Steve," she said with a wiggle of her brows for him to take up their offer.

"Thank you, Eve, Buck, but I can get by on my own," Steve said quietly.

Bucky placed his hand on Steve's shoulder. "The thing is, you don't have to. We're with you to the end of the line, pal."

Evelyn turned to see Steve staring out into the sky as well, and she leaned her head onto his arm. She wrapped her hands around his forearm, a sigh leaving her lips.

"What do we do, Stevie?" she whispered to him.

Steve leaned over, kissing the top of her head. "He knew you right away. We'll have to work with that," Steve said with a frown. "Maybe we can make him remember us completely."

"He's gonna be there, you know?" Sam called as he walked over to the pair.

"I know," Steve said.

"He's not your fiancé anymore. He's not the same man," Sam said, trying to make them see reason. "Whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop."

"I don't know if I can do that," Steve replied.

"Well, he might not give you a choice. He doesn't know you," Sam tried.

Steve looked down at Evelyn's sad eyes. "He knows Evelyn. And, he will know me. Gear up, it's time."

Steve walked off with Evelyn following. "You gonna wear that?" Sam called.

Steve smirked and looked down at Evelynn "No. If you're gonna fight a war, you gotta wear a uniform."

Evelyn grinned as she and Steve made it to the Smithsonian Museum. After Steve explained the plan to disable the Helicarriers, both supersoldiers broke into the museum and stole their outfits from the mannequins. Evelyn touched Bucky's outfit once before hurrying out of the room. She placed her helmet on her head with a smirk as the pair made it to the helicopter waiting with Maria, Fury, Natasha, and Sam in it. Natasha nodded approvingly.

"I like this whole look," she said to Evelyn. "Really suits you."

Evelyn rolled her eyes playfully as she cocked her gun. "Let's go kill the son of a bitch," she said, referring to Pierce.

"There she is," Fury said nonchalantly as Maria flew the chopper as close as they could get to the Triskelion.

Natasha left immediately to catch up to the car with the government officials inside for her part of the plan while Maria, Steve, Sam, and Evelyn snuck into the headquarters to the main control room. After screwing the the microphones, Maria nodded at them—signaling someone was coming to open the door. When it opened, Steve held his shield tightly as the others pointed their guns at the poor tech who opened the door.

"Excuse us," Evelyn said with a mock smile as the group pushed inside.

Steve managed to get connected to the PA system in time. Clearing his throat, Evelyn bit back a laugh as he began his speech. "Attention, all S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by Hydra. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The S.T.R.I.K.E. and Insight crew are Hydra as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, Hydra will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

Evelyn and Sam both clapped loudly, the man adding, "Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?"

Steve rolled his eyes as he said, "Come on."