lxxi. 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚍

EVELYN ALLOWED Natasha to zip up the rest of her Vibranium suit. She stuck Bucky's gun to her back as she hid her knives as he had showed her once before. Her hands still shook, something she did not think would ever go away. All she could picture was Bucky's hand disappearing from hers. She let out a shaky breath just as the door was knocked on. Natasha called for Steve to come in, knowing it was him. He never strayed too far from his two friends.

"We're ready," he told them, noticing how Evelyn's hands shook to put her hair up. Natasha gestured toward Evelyn as she walked past Steve. Steve walked into the room, grabbing her hair to finish putting it up. She gave him a look in the mirror. "There," he murmured. "Remember when you'd do my hair for those stupid double dates?"

Her lips twitched. "You'd always push me away."

Steve grinned slightly before he grew serious. "Let's go."

Evelyn followed him out to the lawn of the Avengers Compound. Pepper would be staying with Tony as they saw Rocket, Nebula, and Carol fixing up the ship they were to be taking to space. After Rocket deemed it ready for flight, he had them all step on and buckle in. He sat in the pilot's seat, a smirk on his lips.

"Okay," he began, "who here hasn't been to space?"

Natasha, Steve, Evelyn, and Rhodey rose their hands.

Rhodey noticed Rocket's smirk. "Why?"

"You better not throw up on my ship."

Once in the air, Evelyn held onto the chair she was in tightly, her knuckles turning white. She closed her eyes at the fast speed. It would only get faster.

"Approaching jump in 3... 2... 1!" Nebula called before the ship took off faster than ever into a wormhole. Evelyn held down her sick at the feeling. When they began to slow down, she opened her eyes slowly to see the planet in front of them. She could not help but find it beautiful despite the situation.

Carol flew out of the ship, hovering in front of them. She looked at the planet once before looking at them again. "I'll head down for recon."

As she flew off, everyone aboard the ship simply waited. Waited for something to happen or some catastrophe to occur.

Natasha noticed the heavy stares of Steve and Evelyn. "This is gonna work, Evelyn," she whispered to her.

"I know it will," Evelyn started, looking down to her wedding ring as she twisted it once with her shaky hands. "'Cause I don't know what I'm going to do if it doesn't."

Steve let out a heavy sigh just ae Carol approached the ship again. "No satellites, no ships, no armies, no ground defenses of any kind. It's just him."

Nebula sneered out, "And, that's enough."

When they landed and suited up properly, they decided to just attack. It was the best way to get the upper hand. Carol flew it, tackling Thanos to the ground and grabbing his neck. Bruce ran in with his HulkBuster armor, grabbing the Infinity Gauntlet arm. Thor flew in, slicing off the Gauntlet as Rhodey flew in with Rocket, both aiming guns at Thanos's head. Steve, Natasha, and Evelyn walked in, all holding their weapons with hardened gazes. Evelyn gulped at the sigh of the Titan who took everything from her. When Rocket walked over to the Gauntlet, he kicked it over to show no stones inside of it. Evelyn's eyes searched around the home frantically.

"Oh no," Rocket whispered.

Steve walked forward, his voice malicious as he screamed, "Where are they?"

Thanos did not respond.

"Answer the question!" Evelyn yelled next, fear in her voice as it began to sink in that she would not get Bucky back.

Thanos glanced at her. "The universe required correction. After that, the stones served no purpose, beyond temptation."

"You murdered trillions!" Bruce shouted.

"You should be grateful," Thanos said before being punched by Bruce.

Natasha grabbed Evelyn's arm before she walked over to Thanos and hurt herself further. "Where are the Stones?"

"Gone. Reduced to atoms."

"You used them two days ago!" Evelyn said, her voice cracking.

"I used the stones to destroy the stones. It nearly killed me. But the work is done. It always will be," Thanos said before sitting up a bit. "I am... inevitable."

Rhodey's eyes searched around Thanos's home as well. "We have to tear this place apart, he-he-he has to be lying."

"My father is many things. A liar is not one of them," Nebula sneered his way, only calling him father because she knew what was coming before Thor even moved.

"Ah, thank you, daughter. Perhaps I treated you too harshly—"

Thor's face filled with absolute rage as he summoned his ax and slices Thanos's head right off. Thanos fell limp to the side, blood going onto those around him.

"What... What did you do?" Rocket asked with wide eyes.

Thor glanced at his hand that held the ax. "I went for the head," he whispered, voice holding more hurt than most.

Evelyn collapsed to her knees. She reached for the Gauntlet, wanting to tear it apart. It took him away from her. Her James. Her Bucky. Her everything.

A single tear left her eye as she tried to think of something, anything that could bring him back. There was nothing she could do. He was gone.