xv. 𝚝𝚘𝚗𝚢 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚔

2013; Washington, D.C.

TONY STARK was scowling as he walked into the Triskelion. After the attack from Loki in New York a few months ago, he had been left alone to try and salvage his Stark Tower with his girlfriend, Pepper Potts. Going back and forth from New York and Malibu, where his main headquarters for Stark Industries resided was exhausting. Not only was he barely sleeping as it was, but he was also building new suits daily. Basically, the genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist had no time to be dealing with Fury's bullshit. He could have the Star Spangled Man or the shadow of S.H.I.E.L.D. take care of whatever the problem was. Why did he have to come by?

His right brow rose at the sight of Maria Hill and Nick Fury waiting for him in the lobby. He lowered his sunglasses with a smirk on his face before propping them back on his nose correctly. "Wow, something must be really wrong, Pirate. You never come down to wait for me."

Fury rolled his one good eye before saying, "Don't start. Let's go."

"Ooh, not very friendly today, are we?" Tony quipped as he followed Fury to the elevator. He glanced at Hill's tablet once the door shut and they began to shoot upward to one of the higher floors. "What is going on? Why all the secrecy? Hey! Where's the old popsicle? Is he here?"

"Do you ever shut up, Stark?" Hill asked rhetorically before sighing as he quirked a brow at her angry tone. She softened her voice as she said, "There is someone you're going to meet."

"I'm not adopting any kids. Pepper and I are rocky enough as it is," Tony said quickly before he shook his head. "Don't tell me I have a kid waiting for me, Hill."

Maria Hill and Nick Fury shared looks of amusement despite his irritating tone. As the elevator opened to Fury's floor, he led the way through the hallway until they stopped in front of the door. "There is no kid waiting for you, Tony." He glanced at Hill before knocking on the door. When they heard a faint voice allowing access, Fury opened the door and gestured for Tony to walk in. "We'll let you two talk."

Evelyn noticed Fury and Hill standing outside her door as it opened. She stood tall as the door opened further to reveal another man. Her eyes went to the photo on her bed. This was Tony. Her nephew. He wore a crisp suit and sunglasses, and by God, he looked just like Howard at that age. She felt the air leave her lungs again, not knowing what to do or say to the man.

Tony's eyes moved to the room, finally spotting the woman standing stiffly next to the bed. Ripping off his sunglasses, he narrowed his eyes at Evelyn before they shot to Fury. "How in the hell is she alive!?"

Hill began to walk away as Fury repeated, "As I said, we'll let you two talk."

Evelyn's hands shook as Tony took a tentative step inside of the room before the door shut behind him–Fury's doing, of course. Evelyn decided to end her suffering of awkwardness and search for the confidence she lost before she took a ragged breath and said, "Anthony, right?"

"Tony," he corrected before wincing at his own harsh tone. "I go by Tony."

Evelyn reached her hand out to shake his before realizing she extended the hand with the chain of rings on it. She quickly switched hands as Tony took it warily. "Evelyn. Evelyn S-Stark. Fury gave me a few files," she said softly as he dropped her hand quickly–still looking as if he had seen a ghost.

"Files on what?" Tony said, turning sharply to look out the window. Before she could answer, he snapped, "How the hell are you alive? Dad said you died in '45."

Evelyn felt like Tony was angry at her, but she could see the confusion swirling in his eyes. "Fury said they found me in the jet I fell asleep in. I shut my eyes that night in a freezing jet on the side of a mountain and woke up here. I'm a little discombobulated after it all if I'm being honest."

Tony nodded, the story familiar to Steve's. He sighed, running a hand down his face. "I need to make a call," he said before pulling out his cell phone.

Evelyn furrowed her brows. "What's that? What're you doing?"

Tony looked at her before a smirk went on his lips unconsciously. "Cellular Phone. Oh, that'll be fun," he murmured to himself before he dialed a number. "Hey, Pep. Yeah, no, everything's... fine, I guess. I... Uhm, I'm going to be staying in New York for the night. A long story that I'll explain better later. Mhm, love you."

Evelyn looked away, fingering the rings on the necklace before quickly moving to clasp it around her neck to not lose it. Tony shoved his phone back in his pocket as he walked to the door. He paused before saying, "You hungry... Evelyn?" he asked, the name tasting weird on his tongue.

Evelyn's stomach made a sound as he said it. She saw her boots sitting at the edge of the bed, so she quickly went to put them on. "Yeah, yeah, I'm hungry."

As Tony opened the door, Fury was waiting outside with a serious look on her face. Tony turned to see her still moving to put her shoes on. "I have one request," Fury said as he, too, glanced at Evelyn, "Until she isn't in this shocking state... until she is able to be on her own, I'd prefer you not mention Captain Rogers."

"What?" Tony asked. "Why not?"

"They were best friends. Both shared another best friend. Sergeant Barnes. He was her fiancé. I just think she needs to mourn your father and her fiancé before we bring Steve into the mix," Fury said softly. Tony hated when the man kept secrets. With a reluctant scowl, he nodded.

"Good. Get her a cell phone with my number on it. I know this isn't what you wanted right now, but she has no one. You're family. She needs you. And hell, you need her. Once she's adapted to the new world, you can send her Steve's way if she's too much for you to worry about. Her brain is enhanced from the serums, so it should not take her long to adapt."

Tony nodded as he heard footsteps appear behind him. He noticed she was dressed in pants that looked from the '40s and a jacket with the name James Buchanan Barnes embroidered into the left side. He shook his head at Fury for not providing her new clothes.

"I'll make sure she gets settled," Tony said firmly. He smiled softly at Evelyn before pulling out his sunglasses. "Welcome to the 21st century, Evelyn."