xlii. 𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚘𝚏 𝚞𝚕𝚝𝚛𝚘𝚗

EVELYN LISTENED to the conversation as Rhodey appeared in his War Machine suit to help fight off the robots. Suddenly, Evelyn was smacked away from the core by Ultron himself. She groaned from the force, spitting blood as she lifted her head with a glare at the robot. She stood, sending a knife his way. It landed in his arm but did nothing. She ran forward, grabbing her fallen gun to send three shots into his metal body. He was affected, but he got up quickly and punched her again. Landing on the ground again, she watched as Thor appeared—hammer flying straight into Ultron. Evelyn stood as Thor's hammer came flying her way. She ducked just in time.

Evelyn slid under Thor's to take out Ultron's legs as the pair fought the robot. She stood just as Ultron grabbed Thor.

"You think you're saving anyone? I turn that key and drop this rock a little early and it's still billions dead. Even you can't stop that," Ultron sneered at them.

Thor strained as he said, "I am Thor, son of Odin, and as long as there is life in my breast, I am... running out of things to say! Are you ready?"

Evelyn stepped aside just as Vision used Thor's hammer to send Ultron flying away from the church. Vision stared at the hammer with interest as he handed it back to Thor.

"It's terribly well balanced," Vision commented.

Thor nodded, swinging it once. "Well, if there's too much weight, you lose power on the swing, so." He shrugged as he glanced at Evelyn. "Are you okay, Lady Evelyn?"

Evelyn nodded. "Yeah, thanks for that," she said as she slid next to the core again. "Hey, Tony? I got it ready. We just need to create a heat seal. You can... You can supercharge the spire from below," she said, definitely out of breath as Vision and Thor guarded her. They saw robots coming their way.

"Friday?" Tony asked to be sure.

"Running numbers," Friday said. "A heat seal could work with enough power."

"Thor, we got a plan!"

"We're out of time. They're coming for the core," Thor told them.

Evelyn stood as she grabbed a fallen staff from one of the robots. Tossing around in her hands, she decided it would be good enough. "Rhodey, get the rest of the people on board that carrier," Tony told his best friend.

"On it."

"Avengers, time to work for a living," Tony called for them to meet at the church.

Evelyn smiled as Steve, Wanda, and Clint made it to the church. Steve walked over to her, reaching his hand up to wipe blood from her forehead. "Are you all right?" he asked softly.

"I will be," Evelyn promised. "Are you?"

"I will be," he repeated before shaking his head. "Buck's gonna kill me."

Evelyn tilted her head. "Why?"

He tapped her cheek. "You're going back to him with scars all over you. He always hated when you would get hurt because of me."

Evelyn smiled softly as she grabbed his hand. "I love you, Steve," she said seriously. "Let's kick some robot ass."

As Tony landed next to them, Evelyn dropped Steve's hand as she noticed Pietro had joined them. The Hulk landed roughly near them right after Tony commented, "Romanoff? You and Banner better not be playing hide the zucchini."

"Relax, Shell-head. Not all of us can fly," Natasha said before joining them after driving a car. She smiled at Evelyn before saying, "What's the drill?"

Tony pointed at the Vibranium core. "This is the drill."

"If Ultron gets a hand on the core, we lose," Evelyn explained.