xii. 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚒𝚗

EVELYN ALLOWED Howard to fit the new helmet he created for his little sister on her head. It worked almost like a mask, keeping her head from hard impacts. It was something she had been asking him to make her for the two years of missions. She grinned up at him as she adjusted her belt with her many weapons, moving to a fake curtsy as he did a mock bow.

"Thank you kind sir," she said with a bad imitation of Peggy's accent.

"I expect a celebratory shot contest after this mission, should all go well," Howard replied in the same tone.

Peggy glared from her spot standing next to them. "You aren't funny, you know."

"I think we're quite humorous, Pegasus," Howard teased, dropping the accent.

"I can't wait to not work with you ever again."

Howard laughed loudly, winking dramatically her way before looking at his sister. He knocked twice on her helmet before fake sighing. "Guess you won't be knocking out any more brain cells. What a relief."

"Ass."

"Language," Peggy reprimanded.

Evelyn rolled her eyes as Howard looked at her in shock. "Did you seriously just say language?"

Peggy glared before saying, "Come on, Evelyn. They are heading out."

"Bye, darling sibling of mine."

"Good bye, my oh so horrible brother."

Howard grinned and added, "Be careful, Lynnie."

"Always am, Howie.

When Evelyn made it to the team of Howling Commandos, she grinned at Bucky and let him kiss her head. She did not realize there were cameras filming the process of getting to this mission. They had done this for the past two years, but she had always tuned them out. Who would watch videos of them planning battles? She simply held onto Bucky without a care in the world as Steve explained her plans in detail—Evelyn already knowing everything.

They set out, moving to where the train would be approaching with a certain Arnim Zola. Evelyn knew they could unravel Schmidt with his head scientist.

Once on the snow-covered mountain, the Howling Commandos set up. Evelyn smiled, letting out a deep sigh as the wind picked up. She was glad she had worn one of her tight but warm jackets. It would be easy to fight in should she need it, but she was also cooking like a bird in the oven. She watched as Gabe set up a radio to try and link to the train.

Grabbing Bucky's hand, she watched him turn her way with a wink. The other's of the group began setting up the zipline they would use. "Remember when Lyn and I made you ride the Cyclone at Coney Island?"

"Yeah, and I threw up?" Steve responded.

"This isn't payback, is it?"

Steve began to grin. "Now why would I do that?"

Evelyn sighed. "That was my first time ever going to Coney Island. We had our first sleep over that night. Remember?"

"How could I forget? Buck could barely say a word to you in that robe you were wearing," Steve teased, referencing how he could never say a word to a woman without making a fool of himself.

Bucky scoffed. "At least I said a word."

The trio laughed softly, feeling like that was ages ago when it was only a few years. A lot had changed since then, of course. Evelyn remembered that night well. It was a few days after she had met Bucky and Steve—the meeting she went to with Howard, Phillips, and Morav had her more stressed than anything since they had predicted the war before it even began. She had gone to a bar that night to get the edge of when she was approached by the two familiar faces.