ix. 𝚜𝚌𝚑𝚖𝚒𝚍𝚝 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚣𝚘𝚕𝚊

HOWARD WAS completely against Evelyn going into a fortified Hydra base until she told him who was captured in there. She had no choice. Bucky Barnes was not dead, she could feel it. It was stupid and nothing to go off of, but she had to go in there and see for herself. She was so glad Steve would be coming with her.

Peggy came aboard as well, refusing to allow her best friends to fly in dangerous territory alone. She watched Steve from afar, the man placing his stolen helmet on his head. She watched how he reached over to grab Evelyn's hand that was shaking on her bouncing knee.

"We'll find him," he said, more so to himself.

Peggy noticed they were getting close, and there was a slight chance Howard would be able to get them close enough despite what he thought. "The Hydra camp is in Krausberg, tucked between these two mountain ranges. It's a factory of some kind," Peggy explained to Evelyn and Steve. Steve watched Evelyn soak up the information as she planned in her head.

"We should be able to drop you both right on the doorstep," Howard added, turning his head slightly to yell.

Steve shook his head, worried for Peggy. "Just get us as close as you can," he paused before adding, "You know, you two are gonna be in a lot of trouble at the lab."

Peggy scoffed. "And you both won't?"

"Where we're goin', if anybody yells at me I can just shoot 'em," Steve said cheekily.

"They will undoubtedly shoot back," Peggy said.

Evelyn shrugged. "I think we'll be okay."

"Let's hope it's good for something," Steve added, knocking at his fake shield on the ground next to him.

Howard flew steadily for a while before calling back, "Agent Carter, if we're not in too much of a hurry I thought we could stop off in Lucerne for a late night fondue," he joked as Peggy looked awkwardly at Steve.

"Howard," Evelyn called, "shut up."

Howard let out a loud laugh. "Just trying to diffuse the tension and pretend I'm not about to send my sister to her death."

"Charming," Evelyn said as she stood to grab the two parachutes, handing one to Steve.

Peggy saw Steve frown. "Stark is the best civilian pilot I've ever seen. He's mad enough to brave this airspace, we're lucky to have him."

Steve stammered, trying to form his right words. "So are you two—Do you–Fondue?"

"This just keeps getting better," Evelyn said to herself as Peggy gave her a look to which the Stark replied with a teasing smile.

Peggy handed a black box of technology. "This is your transponder. Activate it when you're ready and the signal will lead us straight to you."

"Are you sure this thing works?" Steve asked.

"It's been tested more than you, pal," Howard cracked just as the plane began to be attacked. Evelyn groaned as she was thrown to the side. Steve and Evelyn locked eyes, knowing they had to go now.

Evelyn clicked her parachute in place as she opened the door. Steve followed.

"Get back here! We're taking you all the way in," Peggy yelled to them over the wind.

"Evelyn, wait!" Howard shouted.

"As soon as we're free, you turn this thing around and get the hell outta here!" Steve said just as Evelyn jumped. He knew he had to follow.

"You can't give me orders!" Peggy called.

"The hell I can't! I'm a Captain!"

Evelyn landed as gracefully as she could through the trees, clicking the strap of her parachute to get it off of her. Taking out a gun with a silencer on it, she held it close to her as she waited for Steve. Hearing rustling, she turned sharply and pointed her gun at Steve falling less than gracefully. Muttering under his breath, he was glad when Evelyn walked forward to help unlatch thr parachute from his body.