lxxxvi. 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚝, 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚞𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚎, 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚏𝚞𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗

TONY WAS suspicious the moment Steve offered a 'family dinner.' He was suspicious, but he would never turn it down after everything that happened. He was done pushing away those he loved, so he packed up Pepper and Morgan, grabbed a cheesecake on the way, and made his way to his tower in the middle of New York City.

When he walked in, it smelled heavenly, but that was not what caught his eye.

Bucky and Steve were in an intense arm wrestling contest while Evelyn tried to break the other's focus.

Morgan decided to be a brat like her father and yell causing Steve to slip up, Bucky pinning his arm quickly.

"HA!" Bucky yelled. "I am the superior supersoldier." He glanced at Morgan with a dashing smirk. "Thanks, little bit."

Morgan ran at the trio, hugging each one as Pepper grinned at the scene. She walked into the kitchen to see dinner was made and she called Morgan to help set the table. Tony used his own cane to slowly walk to the table, his arm still in a sling. He was grateful when Bucky took out a chair for him to sit in. He murmured thanks as he watched Bucky do the same to Evelyn, kissing her on the lips and forehead. Evelyn giggled softly, lifting her hand with the wedding ring on display, running a hand down Bucky's face before pinching his cheek childishly. Tony looked away, fear of ruining the moment coursing through him.

"So, Tone," Evelyn began as the others set the table up with utensils and the food. She and Tony could not do much besides 'look pretty' as Bucky said with a cheeky grin. "How are you adjusting?"

"Friday and I already have the design for my new arm. Took some design inspiration from you, Barnes, hope you don't mind."

Bucky placed a basket of rolls on the table, shaking his head. "Not at all. I hope you're able to get moving again."

Evelyn smiled brightly at the interaction, not believing Bucky and Tony were in the same room actually getting along.

Once everyone was settled, Tony allowed small talk to occur while they ate the main courses. Steve and Bucky were answering a plethora of questions from Morgan about anything and everything. Evelyn and Pepper were gossiping about Vision and a few other things they still had to fix in the strange world they were living in.

"Okay," Tony broke the ice of the tense feeling once Morgan ran off with Wanda after the witch made herself known to grab some of the food as well to head to her room. "Why the family dinner? What are you planning?"

Steve, Bucky, and Evelyn exchanged looks before Bucky shouted, "I!"

Steve followed, "I!"

Evelyn tossed her cane angrily at the two boys with a scowl on her face before slowly turning to face her nephew.

A sheepish smile moved onto her face as she reached to grab his hand, deciding to not sugarcoat anything. "Steve wants to back after the war ended. He wants Bucky and I to come along, and we've been considering it. I think it's the next adventure for us."

Pepper frowned immediately, and she began to protest while Tony stayed quiet. Steve told her their views, wanting to go back to where they belonged. Even though they did belong here with their new family, Evelyn needed Howard. Steve needed Peggy. Bucky needed Steve and Evelyn. Tony finally squeezed Evelyn's hand, chuckling a bit before it became full-blown laughter.

They all watched in fear he was going to lash out before he let the grin stay on his face. He looked content.

"Yes, well, you told me how nervous you were to go back. I guess I must really seem like a hard ass."

"What?"

"In 1989, we were at some family function. You told me everything. You told me how you really were from different times. You told me about the war. You told me about Bucky. You told me about Steve. You told me about myself and this war. You did not give me details, but you told me that when the time came, I had to let you go," Tony said with a shrug. A smirk rose as he said, "Who do you think kept me in line before dad died? After? You refused to be on camera, and that day I found out why... because technically, somewhere you were frozen in a jet. I guess all the time travel messed up my brain and helped me remember, or maybe I was meant to forget it until now... I don't know, Aunti Icicle. I just know that if you want to go, go. I won't stop you from being happy."

Evelyn took everything in with a frown. She wondered if somewhere, she was still alive. She wondered how Tony had forgotten that all these years. Maybe he hadn't? Maybe he was hiding it? She wondered if the decision to go back was made right at this very table, and maybe that's why Tony now had all of these memories surfacing. Maybe she had to accept she was leaving, and now, time would be altered. Things Tony did not remember have actually happened due to her going back in time.

It was all confusing, but time travel always was--whether it be being frozen for seventy years or going through the Quantum Realm.

"The only question now is... when do you leave?"

Evelyn was still processing everything, so she helplessly looked over to Steve and Bucky to see them both looking confused as well.

"I guess once everything is in order here. I want to see Vision. I want to see you replace your arm. Steve is planning to give up the shield to someone (who he refuses to tell me who)... but I guess the answer is soon."

Tony smiled, squeezing her hand again. "Then, let's make the most of it."