vii. 𝚘𝚏𝚏 𝚝𝚘 𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚍𝚘𝚗

EVELYN ALLOWED the nurse to take her blood while she stared at the wall in front of her with hardly any emotion. She knew she was the next one to be targeted since she had Erskine die in her arms. As the only other person who knew exactly how to make the supersoldier serum, she had the largest target on her back. It was unnerving.

The nurse walked away to Steve, getting more of his blood. Peggy walked inside, seeing both Steve and Evelyn wearing dejected looks on their faces. Neither had even spoken to each other since Steve chased the man who shot Erskine down. Peggy knew they were being reasonably upset, after all, Evelyn had already dealt with Dr. Morav dying only a little over a year ago.

"Evelyn," Peggy called. Evelyn's eyes shot to hers as Steve listened in. "Dr. Erskine was very proud of what you created."

"Thanks," Evelyn said, wrapping her own arm with gauze. "I'm going to find my brother."

As she was about to leave, Steve said, "Eve?"

Evelyn turned with a small smile. "Yeah, Steve?"

"I'm glad you're okay."

"Yeah, you're still a punk. No serum could change that," she retaliated with a teasing wink, causing Steve to chuckle slightly. "I'm glad you're okay, too."

Walking into the lab, she could see Howard working underneath the Hydra submarine that the man Steve caught almost got away in. Tying her hair up, she walked to Howard's assistant, grabbing the tools. Howard turned to grab a tool, jumping back in surprise to see Evelyn holding the tool he needed instead of his assistant. He smirked, grabbing it with a nod.

Senator Brandt walked inside with Phillips leading him. The Colonel had a scowl on his face as his eyes met Evelyn's. "Colonel Phillips, my committee is demanding answers," the Senator yelled.

Phillips turned to Brandt. "Great. Why don't we start with how a German spy got a ride to my secret installation in your car?" He then looked back at the two Starks. "What have we got here?"

Howard sat down, running a hand through his hair before letting a strand fall on his forehead. "Speaking modestly, I'm the best mechanical engineer in this country. But I don't know what's inside this thing or how it works. We're not even close to this technology."

Senator Brandt did not like that answer. "Then who is?"

"Hydra. I'm sure you've been reading our briefings," Phillips sneered his way.

"I'm on a number of committees, Colonel," Brandt answered, showing that he had not read the briefings that Peggy had been sending.

Peggy and Steve had walked in at that moment. Peggy quickly explained, "Hydra is the Nazi deep science division. It's led by Johann Schmidt. But he has much bigger ambitions."

"Hydra practically a cult," Phillips continued. "They worship Schmidt, they think he's invincible."

"So what are you gonna do about it?"

"Spoke to the president this morning. As of today the SSR is being retasked," Phillips said, which was news to everyone in that room. Evelyn and Howard met each other's eyes in curiosity.

Peggy shared the curiosity and confusion. "Colonel?"

"We are taking the fight to Hydra. Pack your bags Agent Carter. You too, Stark 1 and Stark 2. You're flying to London tonight."

Steve quickly stepped forward. "Sir, if you're going after Schmidt, I want in."

"You're an experiment. You're going to Alamogordo," Phillips said.

Steve looked heartbroken. "The serum worked. Evelyn's going as well. We can work together—"

"I asked for an army and all I got was you. You are not enough," Phillips said. "Stark 2 is a scientist. She can run her own experiments on her own time. Like I'd send her out anyway."

Evelyn scowled at his words as Phillips walked away.

Senator Brandt waited until the Colonel was out of earshot. "With all due respect to the Colonel, I think we may be missing the point. I've seen you in action, Steve. More importantly, the country's seen it. Paper," he said to his aide. "The enlistment lines have been around the block since your picture hit the newsstands. You don't take a soldier, a symbol like that, and hide him in a lab. Son, do you want to serve your country on the most important battlefield of the war?"

"Sir, that's all I want."

"Then, congratulations. You just got promoted."

Evelyn felt her eyebrows furrow as Brandt looked over at her. "You, Ms. Stark, will work on recreating the serum. Won't you? I can't have you be a symbol, with all due respect, no matter your last name."

Evelyn crossed her arms over her chest. "I wouldn't do what you asked if you were my advisor, sir. I do take offense. Just because Steve is a male supersoldier does not mean my serum did not work—"

"I get it," Brandt said before walking off, grabbing Steve's arm to explain what he wanted the man to do.

Peggy sighed, grabbing her hand and squeezing it. Howard scowled, throwing a tool at Brandt's head before ducking behind the submarine when the man turned quickly at the sound of the clank behind his feet.

"He's an ass," Howard stated. "I'm proud of you, Lynnie. Once we get more testing done—"

"I'll just focus on Erskine's serum," she said softly. "I should go pack."

"Would you like help?" Peggy asked, seeing Howard nodding his head. Evelyn was about to say no when Peggy added, "Nevermind. I'm not asking. Let me help you, love."

Evelyn and Peggy packed quickly, knowing Phillips would not want to be late. On her way out, she ran into Steve who was obviously searching for her.

Peggy's eyes widened as Steve began ranting, "What Brandt said was horrible and wrong, and I want to ignore his request for the Captain America stuff just in spite of his words to you. You're brilliant, Eve, and I'm so proud of everything you've done. I never understood what possessed you to save my scrawny self all those years ago, but I'm so glad you're here now. I want to be there for you. I just want to go to London as well, but I can't with Phillips not allowing me. I promised Bucky I'd take care of you. And I can't ask you to stay around Brandt. That's selfish—"

"Wow," Evelyn cut him off as Peggy chuckled quietly.

"I'm just going to wait over here," she said to Evelyn.

Steve flushed at her words. "Hey, Steve, it's all right," she said softly, bringing him in for a hug. "God, you're tall now."

"Yeah, I am. It's nice to hug you like this."

"I'll miss you," she whispered in his neck. Steve kissed her hair as she added, "Don't worry about Brandt. I'm a big girl who's had a lot of doors shut in her face because I don't have a penis. I'm proud of what I did, but it's nice to hear it from you. I love you, Steve. Go be Captain America. I think it'll suit you for now until we're able to get you in London."

"You'll get me there?"

"I'll try my best," Evelyn promised as they let each other go. "Write me, okay?"

"I promise."

When Peggy and Evelyn met Howard by Colonel Phillips and the other agents, Phillips placed a hand on Evelyn's shoulder. "How're you feeling, Stark?"

"Fine, sir."

"Howard told me about Brandt, that son of a bitch."

Evelyn grinned. "I'm fine, really, sir."

"Well, then," Phillips said as Howard threw an arm around Peggy's shoulder. "Let's get to London and beat Hitler's ass."