xxx. 𝚠𝚒𝚙𝚎 𝚑𝚒𝚖 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚛

1940; Brooklyn, New York

BUCKY COULD tell something was wrong with his girlfriend. It had been a few weeks since the funeral of Sarah Rogers, and though Steve was beginning to move on, it seemed as Evelyn was stuck in her mind. He did not like to imagine what that would truly be like.

Sitting up from his side of her large bed, the blanket moved with him and exposed her naked back as she slept peacefully. He hoped it was peacefully, anyway. Running a finger down her spine, he smiled to himself when she shivered and goose bumps appeared on her skin.

"You don't understand the concept of sleep," Evelyn teased, eyes still closed as she turned her head to face him properly. Finally, one of her brown eyes popped open and a smile graced her face.

Bucky moved his hand off of her, laying back down to look at her as he propped his head on his hand. "What's been going through that pretty head of yours lately? You've been worrying me, Stark."

Evelyn laughed softly before murmuring, "Just worried 'bout my brother and Steve."

"Steve's a champ. He's fine," Bucky promised, reaching over the bed to grab his shirt. Tossing it to her, she slipped it on quickly and sat up next to him. "What about your brother?"

"He should be coming back soon for a weapons demonstration," Evelyn began, "since they are expecting the U.S. to be brought in the war by next year."

Bucky realized how she tensed up at the mention of war. He grabbed her hand with furrowed brows. "That's not all, is it?"

She laughed quietly. "You'll think I'm nuts."

Bucky shook his head. "Nope. You're stuck with me, Stark. Nothing could chase me away."

"Even marriage?"

Bucky froze. "Huh?"

Evelyn chuckled at his bewildered expression. "Marriage, James."

"What about it?"

"If this war happens, you'll be called to fight. I'll be called to work," Evelyn said Morav's words the doctor had spoke to her earlier than day. "I-I don't want to lose you, Buck."

Bucky sighed, pulling her close to him. "Doll, you won't lose me."

"Sure," Evelyn said with a roll of her eyes.

"I sense sarcasm."

"Good job."

Bucky grinned, kissing her forehead. "What's coming will come, Lyn. There is nothing any of us can do to prevent it. I know you feel like you control the world, but you don't. You control you... and me, partially." Evelyn laughed at his words, her head falling into his chest. "Hey, honey. You want to get married? We'll get married. I love you. You love me. You want to be Mrs. Barnes? I'll take it."

Evelyn tilted her head up with wide eyes before asking, "Are you drunk?"

Bucky snorted, kissing her forehead and her nose. "Do you love me?"

"You know I do."

"Then, marry me, doll." Evelyn kept her eyes on his to sense any sense of humor or him faking. He brought one hand to her face, caressing her cheek. "I'll get a ring. I'll ask your brother. I'll do it backwards, but it's okay. Just say yes," he said suddenly, kissing her once. Evelyn nodded, a grin on her face that was bigger than she ever thought possible.

"Yes," she whispered before he crashed his lips to hers again, leaning them down onto the bed properly.

1945; The Train