lxxxi. 𝚝𝚘 𝚐𝚊𝚒𝚗 𝚑𝚘𝚙𝚎, 𝚝𝚘 𝚕𝚘𝚜𝚎 𝚒𝚝

THE FIRST eyes that Evelyn locked onto were that of Natasha Romanoff's. She had a small smile on her face, hand intertwined with Clint's next to her. Evelyn mentally decided to count the heads in the room, seeing all those who left return just the same. It was perfect. Their plan actually worked.

"Did we get them all?" Bruce asked the burning question.

"You telling me this'll actually work?" Rhodey exclaimed, full of happiness to see Tony and Evelyn all right. He was worried for Tony, but he's always been worried for his best friend.

Even though they seemed happy, Evelyn could tell something was irking Clint and Natasha. The pair did not stray far from one another.

As Tony called out he was getting champagne before they worked on the gauntlet, Evelyn approached the two former assassins with a small smile. "You both okay?" Natasha had her head rested on Clint's shoulder.

Clint clenched his jaw. "The red floating guy wanted a sacrifice... like Gamora was for Thanos." No one noticed Nebula freeze at the words, nor did they notice the awkwardness the woman had compared to the last time they saw her. "We both wanted to be it so the other could come home."

"How'd you do it?" Evelyn whispered, realizing the pair did not want anyone else to know by the way they were fidgeting.

Natasha snorted a bit, moving her head from Clint's shoulder to lean closer. "Tetrodotoxin B."

"Banner," Evelyn realized in shock. "I-It worked?"

"Fooled him enough to give us the stone," Clint said with a gulp as he added, "she fell down the mountain after taking it. She made sure to catch herself, of course. Still... seeing her unmoving..."

"It was heartbreaking," Evelyn finished for him. "I get it."

"Just need a moment to remember this is real," Natasha murmured, going back to Clint's side. She never showed emotion like this, so Evelyn knew the experience was traumatic.

Tony came back, giving drinks all around. Natasha drank more than the others, which did not go unnoticed by Steve as he gave her a comforting look. It was almost as if he knew, but then, Evelyn truly saw his expression. As Tony, Bruce, and Rocket began to work on the Nano-Gauntlet, Evelyn made her way to Steve.

"I'm so glad we managed to get home, Stevie," Evelyn mumbled into his shoulder, watching him take another swig of his drink. "You saw her, didn't you?"

Steve then forced himself to drink the rest quickly.

"You can't get drunk, Captain. You know better," she said, taking it away. "How did she look?"

"How did Howard look?" he snapped back.

She sighed sadly. "Like I never left, just a few more greys. He was still witty, smart... irritating. Beautiful. Like a ghost."

"Exactly," Steve said. "If you had the chance, would you go back?"

Evelyn froze before nodding her head. "I would. I would just settle everything here first. I can't live two separate lives, Steve."

"But would you?"

"Of course, Steve."

"Then, I don't feel so bad for thinking the same."

"BOOM!" Rocket yelled causing everyone to jump in annoyance.

Evelyn stood to go offer her assistance since she was supposed to be all brains sometimes, with being a Stark and all. The stones were all attached, and the glove looked beautiful despite what it stood for. She smiled, squeezing Tony's hand when she realized that they were getting her beau back along with all of their friends. Tony squeezed back just as excited as the gauntlet was brought out for all to see.