xiii. 𝚜𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

IN THE briefing room, the SSR and Howling Commandos sat around a long table. They all felt solemn, but all knew this was it. They could finish this once and for all. The missions they started in 1943 would all come to a close after this. 1945 was their year to win the war. Colonel Phillips spoke first.

"Johann Schmidt belongs in a bug house. He thinks he's a God. He's willing to blow up half the world to prove it, starting with the USA."

Howard leaned over the table, stressing his point. "Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capabilities. He gets across the Atlantic, he will wipe out the entire eastern sea board in an hour."

"How much time we got?" Gabe asked.

Phillips smiled. "According to my new best friend, under twenty four hours."

"Where is he now?" Jacques asked softly.

"Hydra's last base is here," Phillips said as he showed a photo. "In the Alps. Five hundred feet below the surface."

Jim Morita looked around questionably. "So, what are we supposed to do. I mean, it's not like we can just knock on the front door."

Steve, who sat quietly at the edge of the table, blurted, "Why not? That's exactly what we're gonna do."

Before any plans began, Colonel Phillips noticed an empty chair. She was the one to plan strategies, after all. "Rogers. Where is Evelyn?"

Everyone turned to the empty seat, not realizing she was gone since she had been so quiet and distant for the past few days. Steve gulped, realizing he had been neglecting her in order to mourn. Where was she? He shook his head. "I-I'm not sure, sir."

Howard stood up as a machine beeped behind him. The lab tech sitting in front of it said, "Colonel, we have a rogue jet taking off with unauthorized access."

Howard cursed under his breath before turning. "Peg, make sure Evelyn is in her room and not on that flyer!"

Peggy took off running with Steve following as Colonel Phillips began cursing everything and anything above. "What the devil is she doing?"

Howard remembered the conversation he had with his little sister the night before. She had pleaded that he go with her to search for Bucky's body, at least for closure. (She still had the feeling he was alive like before no matter what anyone told her) Howard denied her, saying Phillips would never allow it now that they could finish Schmidt once and for all. He remembered her hugging him tightly, mumbling how thankful she was and how much she loved him. Howard took off running to the control room.

Finally managing to get his shaky hands to the microphone that was connecting to her jet, he called, "Evelyn Vanna Stark, get back down here now!"

It was silent for a moment before the radio crackled. "I have to look for him," her devastated voice broke through. "He'd do it for me. If there's a chance... a chance, Howie. I have to check."

Howard felt tears spring in his eyes. "Then, come back. We'll go together, Lynnie. I promise."

"I can't waste anymore time," she replied. "Hey, I love you, okay? Let Peg and Steve know as well."

Before Howard could reply, she had turned off the radio.

Inside of the small jet, she fisted Bucky's wedding ring in her hand as she directed the jet to the place that haunted her nightmares. It took over an hour for her to even get close, but with all of the snow, it was becoming difficult to see. Looking down, she noticed an emergency light flickering as the snowstorm grew worse outside. Keeping a tight hold on the controls, she began to lower herself to the ground, deciding it was better than being stuck in the air if something went wrong. Suddenly, lights began flashing on the jet, and she heard the engine shut off.