xlv. 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚊𝚕𝚔

BUCKY RETURNED that night with two bags of food. He noticed the quiet of the apartment and the lack of lights. Seeing the small television on mute, he noticed Evelyn sitting on the couch with her phone in hand while her eyes stayed focused on the news playing in a foreign language on the screen. He saw his own phone sitting on the table in front of her. Bucky sighed as she shut the door.

Placing the bag on the table, he noticed her not even budge at the sound.

He walked around the couch to see her eyes red from obvious crying. Bucky crouched in front of her, glad when her eyes finally moved to meet his.

"Evelyn," Bucky started, guilt obvious in his tone. Evelyn smiled, shocking Bucky. "I'm sorry. I lost it for a bit earlier."

She nodded before saying, "It's fine, Bucky. Don't worry about me." Evelyn had to be fine for him. She pushed aside her own emotion as she hurried to wipe her eyes and place the brave face on. His eyes narrowed as he stared at her. "What?"

"Stop doing that."

"What?"

"That," Bucky said, standing. "Trying to be all strong for my sake. I was a jerk, Lyn."

Evelyn stood with him, her smile faltering for a second. "You were hurting. I shouldn't have overstepped."

"Stop it!" Bucky shouted causing Evelyn to flinch and take a step back as her smile fell completely. "Be angry. Sad. Whatever. Just stop acting like everything's fine!"

Evelyn's eye twitched before she spoke in a deadly whisper, "You think I don't know that everything isn't fine?"

She stepped forward as Bucky stepped back.

"You think I don't want to be angry and sad at how my life has turned out!?" she said, her voice rising. Bucky clenched his fist. "I hate this!" she finally shouted. "I hate that you, Steve, and I were trapped for seventy years in ice—you as a trained killer! I hate that I never got to see my brother grow up and get married. I never got to see my nephew grow—I'm partially responsible for his childhood to not be filled with enough love from his father because I left Howard alone! That changed him! I hate that I couldn't see Peggy and Steve get married, maybe right after our wedding! I hate that we never got the life we longed for!"

Bucky watched her breathe heavily as tears left her eyes. He could only stay quiet.

"I hate," her voice grew softer, "that you were trapped alone because I didn't get to you fast enough. I hate that you're this shell of who you used to be—I'm not disappointed in you, James. I never could be. I'm disappointed in myself for not doing more when you were right there!"

"Evelyn—"

"And, now!? I have to make sure the one thing I can't live without is safe. I don't have time to be upset or angry," she said, falling back to sit on the couch as she shook her head. "I can't let anything happen to you. I wouldn't be able to take it, James. I wouldn't be able to keep living if I lost you again."

Bucky crouched in front of her again, his flesh hand coming to rest on her cheek while his metal one rested on her hand that sat on her thigh. "I'm right here."

"How long until someone takes you away from me?" Evelyn whimpered, looking up with the most broken expression he had ever seen on Evelyn Stark.

Bucky pulled her to his chest, both falling back to sit on the floor. He held her to his chest as she clutched his shirt as if it was her lifeline. "Don't hold it in anymore," Bucky said finally. "It isn't healthy."

"Like you do?" Evelyn joked quietly.

"I'm trying to tell you everything. It's hard."

"I know, honey," she whispered. "I never meant to push you too far."

"You didn't. I overreacted," Bucky said quickly. He kissed her forehead when she tilted her head to look at him. "You've always been too good for me, Lyn. I don't know what I did to deserve you."

Evelyn reached her hand up to play with the fallen strands of hair, pushing them behind his ear. "You didn't have to do anything. I'm yours."

Bucky lowered his head to kiss her gently, keeping a firm grip on her head to tilt her face to gain better access. They kissed for a few more moments before Bucky said, "I'm sorry we didn't get to live our lives, but we're here now. Steve's alive. You're alive. I'm alive..."

"That's what keeps me going," Evelyn agreed with a nod, kissing him again. He turned her body to have her sit on his lap properly as neither broke the kiss. Bucky backed away, and Evelyn chased after his lips. "James, kiss me."

Evelyn yelped as Bucky stood suddenly with her in his arms. She did not know what he was doing until he laid her back on the bed, finally reaching her lips with his again to mold them together.

After Evelyn's meltdown that day, Bucky and Evelyn were both becoming more open with one another. They were talking often about memories and things the other went through, and Bucky was even reverting into more old habits that the '40s James Barnes would do—especially when it came to being romantic. Bucky was even considering going to see Steve as the year changed to 2016.

Evelyn and Bucky even worked it out where Evelyn would go see Steve and Tony every few weeks, spending a few days at the compound or with her nephew. She had gotten considerably closer to Wanda during this time as she could talk about anything with Bucky due to the fact Wanda could read her mind anyhow. She even told Evelyn about her tiny crush on Vision, which had Evelyn excited for the pair.

When she would return, Bucky would hold her close—always afraid of her being out of his sights for too long. He trusted Evelyn though, more than anyone. She would return with more food and things to watch on the television—even finding a box from Tony that Howard kept with a few photos. They were of Howard and Evelyn, some even of Evelyn and Bucky at different events they would go to since she was a Stark and always invited to things.

Bucky liked to see the photos, keeping one in his pocket just in case he needed her in a moment she was not there.

Evelyn was finally getting to Bucky, she knew. He was almost ready to go see Steve and begin mending that relationship. After that, she felt they could get Bucky cleared of his Winter Soldier assassinations—perhaps, they could finally live that life she had envisioned so many years ago.

Instead of being on the run, they could live together and start a family—if Bucky could ever trust himself to do that. Evelyn knew that topic was sore.

Of course, not everything could stay sunshines and rainbows.

Evelyn had been resting on Bucky as they laid together on the couch, both watching the news as they saw clips from an attack that happened in Lagos. Evelyn could hardly understand the rapid Romanian, but she saw Wanda's face appear with a lot of casualties. She sat up, worry plastered on her face as Bucky sat up next.

"Lyn?" he asked, grabbing her hand.

"Wanda," she breathed out. "They're blaming Wanda."

Bucky winced. "She accidentally killed a lot of people. Lots of cameras. They're going to hold that over her head for a long time."

Evelyn's hands shook as she tried to find her phone. Bucky handed it to her, but he held it before she could grab it. "I think you should wait, doll. Let them call you."

"What if they need me—"

"They'll call you," Bucky said with a nod, placing his arm around her shoulders. "I'm sorry. I just think you should wait."

"No, you're right," Evelyn whispered as she leaned into his hold. "You're right."

Venus | James B. Barnes✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें