xlvii. 𝚋𝚘𝚖𝚋𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚘𝚏 𝚟𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚗𝚊

"THE WEATHER is so nice today," Evelyn said with a grin toward Bucky. Bucky smirked as she did a little twirl, earning some stares. He let out a breathy laugh as he grabbed her hand to twirl her into his chest. "What?" she asked when he gave her a look.

"Inconspicuous," was all he said, "you're horrible at it."

"We've made it this far, haven't we, James?" Evelyn teased as they paused walking to stare at each other. He gave her a soft smile as he leaned his head down to kiss her once. "I was thinking we leave Romania soon. Maybe go back to the States to find a home."

Bucky listened to her as they continued their walk to the market. She walked a step ahead since he was larger and took long strides. He nodded when she looked back at him, tapping the bill of his hat with mischievous eyes. "Wherever you want to go, doll."

The closer they got to the market, Bucky had brought his hand to rest on Evelyn's waist. He did not like the way some of the men and women looked at her when she was out with him. She was his girl, and no one was going to take her away from him again.

They slowed their walk to a simple meander as they looked at the stalls of the market. Evelyn looked up at her husband with a smile as she went to her tippy toes to kiss his cheek. "I love you, Buck."

He smiled down at her. "I love you."

Evelyn smiled at the words, never hearing them enough.

She grew excited to see the plum stand coming with the wife of the man that was normally out there. She gave the pair a smile when they approached.

"Ce fac ei? Sunt bune?" Bucky asked the woman who nodded at her favorite couple. "Dă-mi șase, mulțumesc."

(How are they? Are they good? Give me six, thank you.)

Evelyn paid the woman as Bucky held her close again. As they turned, Evelyn glanced at the other vendors while Bucky tensed beside her. She furrowed her eyebrows as she glanced at him. Lifting her hand to touch his cheek, she asked, "What's wrong, Bucky?"

"He knows who we are," Bucky said with a low voice as he made Evelyn walk quickly toward the newspaper stand. The man behind it ran away causing Evelyn to worry immediately. They had to get out of there if he knew who they were.

Bucky let her go to grab the paper on the stand. Evelyn's eyes widened at the words.

Winter Soldier cautat pentru Bombardmentul din Viena

Evelyn cursed her own stupidity to not bring her phone out with her. She and Bucky looked around tensely as she murmured, "The Accords signing was in Vienna. Someone is framing you."

Bucky pointed at the bottom of the page where she did not see. "Yeah? They know who I am, too. And, they know who you are to me. We need to get out of here, Lyn. Now."

Evelyn's hand was grabbed by Bucky as they walked as quickly as they could out of the market area. Once they were not around people, Evelyn and Bucky took off in a run to get back to the apartment. Bucky had Evelyn walk in front of him as he wished he had brough his handgun with him just in case. Bucky stopped before running into Evelyn when he saw her stop.

She was quiet as she pointed at the door. It was slightly open. Someone was there.

Evelyn allowed Bucky to go in first. As she followed him, she shut the door and locked it just as she heard a familiar voice. "Understood," Steve said. Evelyn let out a relieved breath as she turned to see Bucky and Steve staring at each other. Steve's eyes flickered to Evelyn once before he said to Bucky, "Do you know me?"

Evelyn watched all of her progress with James Barnes simmer away slowly as he stared at Steve coldly and with a hesitant trust that Evelyn knew well. "You're Steve. I read about you in a museum," Bucky finally said, lying because everyone knew Bucky was getting his memories back because Evelyn had made sure to tell him about Steve and his relationship.

"They've set the perimeter," Sam Wilson spoke in the comms. Evelyn heard it loud and clear. She walked closer to Bucky as she grabbed her phone from the table and reached under it to find the gun they had hidden.

Steve watched her apprehensively. She was acting completely different than the Evelyn he had seen just the day before. "I know you're nervous. And you have plenty of reason to be. But you're lying," Steve told Bucky.

"I wasn't in Vienna. I don't do that anymore," Bucky said quietly.

"We've been here, Captain," Evelyn said with narrowed eyes as she was not sure whether or not Steve was on their side yet. "He hasn't done anything. Neither have I."

"They're entering the building."

Steve nodded at her. He believed her. He believed Bucky. "Well, the people who think he did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking either of you alive."

Bucky ripped off his glove on his metal hand. Evelyn watched his eyes begin to harden back to the Winter Soldier. "That's smart. Good strategy," Bucky commented. "Lyn."

Evelyn clutched the gun tighter as Bucky gave her the look they had been preparing for. They had their escape plan. She nodded once, and Steve did not like the look.

"They're on the roof. I'm compromised."

Steve needed them to calm down. They could not run from this. It would make them look worse. "This doesn't have end in a fight, Buck."

Evelyn smiled tightly as she pointed the gun at the door. "It always ends in a fight," she said.

"5 seconds."

Bucky winced when Steve said, "You pulled me from the river. Why?"

"I don't know," Bucky replied.

"3 seconds!"

"Yes, you do," Steve whispered just as Evelyn said, "Now!"

"Breach! Breach! Breach!"