xxviii. 𝚊𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚖 𝚣𝚘𝚕𝚊

EVELYN FELT herself be thrown back in time when the trio rolled up the old abandoned military base where the signal had led them to. It was no coincidence the signal led them there. Evelyn realized something was coming, whether they were ready or not. It was just too much that was linked to the two supersoldiers. Was Pierce behind it? Was he trying to get rid of them?

"This is it," Steve said.

Natasha nodded. "The file came from these coordinates."

"So did I," Steve said with a wry laugh as they got out of the car. They spent the next few hours looking for where the signal came exactly from. Evelyn could see Peggy and herself standing in front of the recruits. She could see Howard twirling her dramatically while making comments about her lack of dancing skills when it had began raining. The Starks were eyed oddly by Colonel Phillips, but neither so much as cared. "This camp is where I was trained."

"Where I finished my life's work," Evelyn said with a fond smile as she looked around.

"Changed much?" Natasha asked the two supersoldiers, both looking as if they were trapping in their memories.

"A little," Steve whispered.

Natasha held a device, pointing it around the camp. She sighed. "This is a dead end. Zero heat signature, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off."

Evelyn noticed something odd as she walked forward to a building near them. She touched the door with a shake of her head.

"What is it?" Natasha asked her.

Steve caught on. "Army regulations forbid storing ammunition within five hundred yards of the barracks."

"This building is in the wrong place," Evelyn revealed.

Steve used his shield to open the lock on the door. Evelyn smiled tightly at him as the trio entered. Evelyn flicked the lights on, watching as the room became brighter—revealing the large S.H.I.E.L.D. logo on the back wall.

Natasha let out a breathy laugh. "This is S.H.I.E.L.D."

Steve looked at Evelyn as she walked into a room, hand immediately finding a large frame of her brother. "Maybe where it started."

Evelyn gulped, brushing her hand over his still face. "There's Stark's father. Your brother, right?" she asked as if she did not already know the answer.

"Howard," Evelyn whispered, a laugh leaving her lips.

She walked to the next photo. Colonel Phillips. "Hard-ass," she murmured, "managed to make the cut."

Finally, Evelyn and Steve made it to Peggy's photo. She looked young, beautiful... in charge. It suited her. Steve stared at it in pain.

"Who's the girl?" Neither replied as Steve stormed to the next part of the room. Evelyn glanced at Howard once more before following him to a random bookshelf.

"If you're already working in a secret office," he began as he shoved the two bookshelves apart. "Why do you need to hide the elevator?"

Evelyn, Natasha, and Steve rode the elevator down to the basement level. When the elevator opened, it revealed a room with many old computers. Evelyn walked out first, seeing the main desk with many old notes and files on it. She laughed lowly at her own writing. "Steve," she called.

Steve grinned as well, seeing some of her notes sprawled out.

Natasha looked around with a frown. "This can't be the data-point, this technology is ancient." Natasha noticed a flash drive port, and reluctantly, she walked forward and placed the flash drive inside of it. All of a sudden, the computers began to book up.