xxxvii. 𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚎𝚜, 𝚍𝚒𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚘𝚛'𝚜 𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚜, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚜𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚒

EVELYN GASPED as she felt thrashing next to her. They had just spent the night together—both worn and tired from their activities. She thought he would sleep through the night. Turning on the lamp beside her, she twisted her head to see Bucky's body full of sweat as his fist clenched and unclenched. His head turned back and forth, the nightmare pulling him farther and farther away.

Evelyn took a deep breath, getting out of the bed and tugging on the hem of his shirt to cover more of her body. She tried to be as quiet as possible, tiptoeing to the door to open the bedroom. She tripped over one of their shoes, cursing to herself. Before she could make it there, a metal hand clamped around her throat—sending her into the wall.

Evelyn's eyes widened as she stared at Bucky's frozen, steely gaze. He wore nothing but a pair of shorts as he glared at her. He was completely in Winter Soldier mode. She gripped his hand as she breathed, "James. James, c-come on. It's just Evelyn. I'm here, Buck."

Bucky stared at her, not squeezing her throat but not moving either.

"James, I love you," she said, grabbing his hand with worry. "I love you."

Evelyn breathed out as Bucky's hand opened and dropped her to the ground. She rubbed her neck softly, taking a deep breath as Bucky backed away, stumbling into the bed.

"I'm sorry," he said, his voice breaking. "Evelyn, I'm sorry."

"I know," Evelyn whispered, using the wall to help her stand. "I know, honey. Just give me a moment."

"N-No. I need to get out of here," Bucky murmured, trying to leave. Evelyn stood in front of the door, blocking his way. "Evelyn, move."

"You weren't hurting me," Evelyn promised. "You never intentionally hurt me as the Winter Soldier. You only grabbed me, no squeezing. I'm fine. See?"

She reached forward, cupping his face in her hands. "I'm okay. Are you?"

Bucky shook his head.

"That's all right. I'll make us some tea. Okay?"

He nodded once.

She grabbed his hand, leading him to the couch. He sat down, placing his head in his hands. Evelyn made them tea, bringing it to him. She placed the two mugs on the coasters, smiling at him.

"James," she whispered. "Drink."

Evelyn and Bucky sat in silence as they drank their tea. Outside, the sun began to rise, but neither made a motion to move. Evelyn grabbed his empty cup, leaning her head on his shoulder as she wrapped her arms around his.

"You know what we should do today? Go for a run," Evelyn decided. "Clear your hea—"

Evelyn winced as her phone began to ring. "Should've left it on silent. I'll be right back," she said, kissing him once. He held her in place to keep the kiss going until she smiled and laughed as the phone rang again. "Okay, it must be important."

Bucky nodded, letting her go. She reached over to grab her phone, furrowing her eyebrows at Nick Fury's name.

"Okay, what?" she whispered. "Hello?"

"Mrs. Barnes. How are things with the Winter Soldier?" Fury asked.

Evelyn looked at Bucky as she sat down. "I'm not sure what you mean. I have yet to find him—"

"What happened to being friends? Trusting each other?" Fury added with a slight chuckle.

"Okay, you win. What was the point of this call?" Evelyn said as Bucky's eyes widened. "I know you're not one for cozy catch-ups."