Chapter Twenty-Seven: Announcements and Old Flames

(IMPORTANT BEFORE READING!!!! In case any of you get confused when the chapter starts... the story is not continuing 3 months in advance... it was just to give you all an idea of what's gonna happen, and you'll notice the smaller things now that you know what's gonna happen... and don't judge Niall too quickly! but also don't judge Lennox! Because it may look like she's gonna go down a dangerous and naughty road but she's not! And Niall isn't the bad guy, neither of them is the bad guy... except the devil...)

Present day

I woke up feeling cold, and instantly I knew why. Niall was gone. Of course he’d gone. He said he couldn’t stay the night, and I knew that as I fell asleep listening to him humming my songs under his breath stroking my hair. I just wish he’d woken me up so that we could say a proper goodbye. I also noticed that we were driving. That meant away from Manchester, my home, I hadn’t had chance to apologise to my dad face-to-face about my attitude to Becca. Although she should be the one apologising to me. I grab my phone from out of my pocket when I hear it ring, and answer it without looking down at the number,  a bad habit of mine.

“Hello?” I ask. After a pause, I hear words I’d never ever thought I’d hear again.

“Lennox, it’s Max.”

And then I hung up.

I let out a scream of frustration, and Perrie came out of the kitchen area of the tour bus with a piece of toast in her mouth and sent me a worried glance.

“If it’s about Niall, he didn’t want to wake you up.”

“It’s not about Niall.” I mumble, looking away from her and down at the end of my top. “My ex just rang me.”

“The cheating one?” She asks and I nod, humming to tell her she was correct. “The one who might still be dating your ex best friend who leaked your phone number and your feelings about Niall online?” I hum again. “The one who stopped you from hanging with the boys?”

“The very same.” I reply, sighing as I watch the motorway out of the window, cars speeding past us, entranced passengers in cars watching our tour bus drive beside them.

“What did he want?” I shrug, “What did he say?”

“’Lennox it’s Max’” I said in a deep voice and then mime being sick. “I hate him. Surely, he expected me to hang up on him the moment he called. Why would he call? He knows I hate him and Alex, slut.”

“Ring him back.” Perrie suggests, walking back into the kitchen and coming back with another slice of toast. Sometimes I worry how she is not fat from all the snacking she does when we are on the move.

“Are you crazy? I’m not gonna call him! I won’t give him the satisfaction.” Perrie shakes her head, then looks down at my lap.

“Well it looks like you won’t have to, he’s ringing again.” I pick up the phone, looking at the foreign number to my phone. There was once a time when I could recite his mobile number from memory. Not anymore that’s for sure. “You answer.” I command her, and throw her the phone, which thankfully, she quickly catches. Shoving the last piece of toast into her mouth, she clears her throat and answers the phone.

“This is Lennox’s phone... Who?.... Oh, can I ask why you are ringing Lennox?.... Coffee?.... When?... today at 3?....” I shake my head at Perrie but Perrie bites her lip. “I’ll pass on the message.” I stand up to my feet, and Perrie ducks her head, holding out my phone to me.

“In my defence, he sounds really upset, and someone died.” My heart lurches.

“Who?” I ask, and Perrie looks up, probably shocked that I care.