Chapter Forty-Two: Here I come...

Fingers interlocked with mine, squeezing assuringly as I looked down at my very on-show boobies. The dress didn’t make me feel sexy, as many people had assured me, it made me feel like a slapper. I wasn’t wearing a bra for God’s sake! The whole of the dress is backless!

“Stop fretting.” Rob tells me, placing his warm hands onto my bare back, which was somewhat weird because I am basically naked and we’ve been on four dates.

“This is the scariest car drive I’ve ever had.” I tell him honestly, and he nods understandingly.  “I’m such an idiot.” I pull my hand out of his and rest my head in my hands, urging myself to stop myself from crying.

“Hey.” Rob says, grabbing my wrists and pulling me to look at him. “You are beautiful. You are going to go out there and show everyone just how beautiful you are, and they’ll all see what I see. You’re not an idiot, you’re amazing, the most amazing girl I’ve ever met.”

My heart hammers as I realise that Rob seems to be getting closer towards me by the millisecond, and his nose brushes against mine, and he stays there for a moment, his eyes open, locking with mine, I urge myself to flutter my eyelids and take the plunge, pressing my lips to his. It was a great kiss. A kiss that made my nervous butterflies hammer against my stomach. My mouth turning upwards into a large grin as we kept our lips pressed together, until finally pulling away for a breath. And for the first time in a long time, I’d forgotten all about my crappy cheating ex-boyfriend who I was going to see tonight.

And there he was again, invading my mind like a constant headache.

“We’re here.” The driver says, and I gulp, looking out at the vast red carpet that I was going to walk down, the horror walk where people would take pictures that later others would critique and analyse. But... this walk is just the first of many obstacles that I have to overcome tonight. All I’ve got to do is remember why, because Niall deserves it.

“LOOK IT’S LENNOX!” I hear as I pop my head out from the car, Rob instantly by my side, offering his hand and helping me out of my car. I look down quickly, making sure none of my boobs have popped out (it’s happened before) and Rob places his hand on my back, as we walk up, going towards the paparazzi. Rob stands to the side as photographers shout questions- which I ignore- and pose for my photos.

“Lennox! Take some with Robert!” Someone orders, and I beckon Rob over towards me, both posing for photos, and I when I finally think that things aren’t going to be bad as I imagined-

“IT’S ONE DIRECTION!”

“NIALL, HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT LENNOX TURNING UP WITH A DATE?”

“LENNOX TAKE PICTURES WITH NIALL!”

Rob pushes my back, signalling that we should move on before One Direction catch up to us.

“Lennox.” I turn at the sound of my voice, already knowing it’s not Niall, but Liam.

“Liam.” I breath out in relief at the sight of my friend and hug him, as he checks me out.

“Well Dani had mentioned that you look absolutely stunning tonight.”

“That was the idea.” I reply, laughing half-heartedly, “Li, this is Rob.” I say, and the two men shake hands, photos flashing around us as they watch us converse with Liam for a few moments.

“If I don’t see you... good luck tonight. You’re going to smash it.”

“Thank you, you too.” Liam nods, about to make his way back to the lads, when I add, “Tell them I said hi and good luck tonight.” Liam nods again, shoving his hands into his pockets and walking back towards One Direction, and turn away quickly, my cheeks burning as I realise... Niall has finally seen me.