Chapter Forty-One: Preparations

“WAKE UP, WAKE UP, WAKE UP, WAKE UP!” I groan at the screams in my ear, burying my head under my pillow, only for it to be pulled out of my grasp.

“Leave me alone.” I mumble, opening my eyes, my two best friends standing above me.

“That’s mean.” Leon pouts, “Not all of us are performing slash winning awards at the Brits, we’re excited for you!” Dani nods, throwing her arm around Leon and nodding along with a pout on her face.

“It’s 10 in the morning!” I exclaim, “We have time!”

“No we don’t!” Leon protests, “We need to sort out a dress, your stylist needs to do your hair and make-up, make you look absolutely fit for your gorgeous date. Then you need to video conference the BRIT people about your new song-change dilemma, pick up your date and make sure you both look hot. Write four different acceptance speeches, make sure your voice is warmed up-“

“I get the point Leo.” I cut him off, pushing my palms into the bed and getting up to my feet, groaning when I catch sight of my reflection in the mirror, and attempt to fall back in bed, but Dani and Leon’s arms hooking around my own stop me from doing so.

“You must be excited?” Dani asks, shocked that all I want to do is sleep on the most important night of my career.

But that’s why I wanted to sleep. I’m not ready, I’m not prepared. I’ve been in the game of song-writing-ness for less than a year! And here I am with the big leagues trying to fit in! How am I performing when some people aren’t? I am performing at the same event as bloody Beyoncé! How was that even possible?

And the possibilities of running into my ex-boyfriend who I am currently screening his calls, is going to be high.

It just seems that the positives of the BRITs are clashing with those damn negatives.

“Come on my songstress.” Leon says, guiding me into the longue. “Today is your day.”

Leon practically rips off my clothes, demanding me to shower as quickly as possible, standing outside the shower and calling commands for me to wash quicker. He stands behind me as I brush my teeth and when I take the mouth wash into my mouth I thought he was going to explode he was so impatient with me. When I get back out of the bathroom, Dani is laughing and talking happily with a woman who seemed awfully familiar, Lou, the boys’ stylist.

“Lennox!” Lou exclaims, moving around the sofa and hugging me tightly. “I can’t wait to do your hair and make-up!” She giggles. A higher-pitched giggle erupts behind me and I smile at baby Lux who is playing with a Barbie doll.

“Lux-y baby!” I coo, bending down and picking her up, sitting down on the couch and bouncing her on my knee. “She’s gotten so big.” I tell Lou and she nods, smiling at her daughter.

“Come on, let’s make you beautiful.”

I chat with Leon, Dani and Lou, Leon and Dani gushing about how pretty I am, and Lou working her magic on my boring brown hair. She straightens it, but somehow makes it wavy, pulling it all over my left side, so it cascades down past my left shoulder down to my chest.

“Now, show me your dress.” Lou demands lightly, and I pass Lux onto Dani’s lap, walking into my bedroom.

The dress, that damn purple revealing dress that I had gotten off Niall for my birthday.  He’d said that the dress was for me to prove how sexy and confident I was. That’s exactly what I am going for, I’m going to prove that I don’t need him, I’m going to prove that I’m doing well, and people will admire me when they find out what I’ve had to go through. And those stupid boys will apologise over and over again, begging for my forgiveness.