Chapter Eight: Us

The kiss was just how I had imagined it to be... completely indescribable. But that’s how it feels when you kiss someone you really care about. And by the fluttering of my heart, I cared about Niall a whole lot more than I realised.

“Wow.” Niall chuckles, pulling away slightly from my lips and leaning his forehead against mine. “What was that for?”

“Niall, I like you.” I tell him, feeling brave for the first time ever. Niall freezes, looking me over and a smile growing bigger on my lips.

“Wow.” Niall repeats, moving forwards and kissing my lips again. They were intoxicating, like a flood of fire that rushed through my body as soon as his lips kissed mine. “I don’t know what to say.” Niall tells me, “I really like you Lennox. I bloody have for ages.” He grazes his lips over mine, as if thinking as he pulls back and leans his back against the sofa. “But... you only just broke up with Max. Are you sure I’m not some rebound?”

“But...” I stop, could he be a rebound? He couldn’t if I had realised my feelings for him when I was still dating Max. “I liked you before Max and I split.” I tell him, grabbing his hand and squeezing it.

“I don’t want to rush into things Lenn. Believe me; I would love to come out of this flat screaming that we were dating or something. But...” He takes a breath, watching me, “I don’t want to have these feelings grow for you, and then you go back to Max. I won’t be able to take it Lennox.” He stands up, pulling me up with him. What am I meant to say? If I was dating Niall and Max wanted to get back together, who would I choose?
“Niall-“ I begin but he holds a hand up to silence me, walking towards the door and pulling me behind him.

“Lennox, I don’t expect you to fall out of love with someone in a day.” Niall tells me, laughing at my pout as he opens the door and drops my hand. “Just... talk to friends and family, talk to Max, let’s have some space, and then we’ll talk about us.”

Us. It was as if that one word with two letters had lit up a sunless garden and suddenly grown the most beautiful flowers imaginable. Did you need a week to decide what was in the heart? I really cared for Niall. I wanted to be with him, when he’d step through those doors and when he leaves me to think about a relationship between us, it wouldn’t take me long to think it over. He was what I wanted. I need him.

“Fine.” I breathe out, leaning closely to him and kissing his cheek purposefully, teasing him. “I’ll talk to you soon Niall.”

“Great.” He sighs, a smile taking over his face and he quickly places the phone back into my hand and waves to me, closing the door behind him.

Could it be possible to be in love with one person the next day, and then in the company of someone else completely forget everything you ever felt for them? Max seemed like a million years away. It didn’t seem like yesterday that I was crying over Max, wishing that we were back to how things were, wishing that I could never see Niall again and to lose these feelings that were still overtaking my body and heart and soul by the second.

A week went by, then two weeks, then three. We were now into September and I hadn’t even heard off Niall. Was it because I had kissed him that it was my responsibility to text or call him first? I hadn’t told Dani or El about what had happened in the flat that day when we kissed, though they had asked. But if neither had heard from their boyfriends then I guess Niall hadn’t told the lads either.

I had already decided I was going to make a conscious decision to spend time with the boys, but it was hard when whenever I’d text or call they were busy in the studio. Not only that, but I was now living all on my own. Liam and Danielle had decided to move in together and I was left by myself, and hadn’t seen Danielle for at least a week. Life suddenly seemed all too boring. I was spending everyday eating, sleeping and watching TV. Trolling through twitter, not replying but just reading. I seemed addicted to the hateful comments that were sent my way, even though no one had even seen Niall and I out together, or seen me at all. Why should I be sent hateful comments just because I fell for their idol? It still didn’t seem right.

Then on the 5th September, I got the phone call that I had been waiting for what seemed like forever.

“Hello?” I answered, I hadn’t bothered to look at the caller I.D, not tearing my eyes away from the T.V show which was reaching its dramatic point at the end.

“Lennox? It’s Niall.” I froze, looking down at my phone, where it did indeed say Niall Horan.

“Oh. Hi.” I reply, short of breath, why was he ringing now? Did he think I needed this much time? Because I didn’t. I knew I wanted to be with him the moment he left my flat.

“Sorry, is this a bad time?” he asked, I had missed his Irish accent, but I could almost picture the worried expression on his face.

“No, not at all.” I say, “I just wasn’t expecting a call at all anymore.” I add on, not holding back the bitterness in my voice.

“Lennox,” Niall groans, “I’ve been busy. I’m really sorry.”

“It’s fine. It’s just... Niall, I want to be with you.” I tell him straight and I hear a pause down the line.

“Have you asked her yet?” I hear a different voice in the background of Niall’s phone.

“Hang on.” Niall whispers to me, “No not yet!” I can hear him shout back.

“Well hurry up! You know what girls are like with packing!” I hear the voice that I had narrowed down to Zayn’s, replied to Niall. I hear the fumbling of Niall as he must have lifted the phone back to his ear.

“Sorry about that. Zayn needed something.” Niall tells me. “Listen, Lennox. I wish I could see you right now...” He sighs, “We’ve got the VMA’s tomorrow night. And well, Perrie couldn’t fly out to see Zayn because she’s busy with Little Mix... So, the boys and I, well we’d really like you to come. We’re up for 3 moonmen. And I’d really like to see you.” He adds the last part as a whisper, maybe the boys were there and he didn’t want them to hear, but his husky voice brought a smile to my lips.

“I’d love to come Ni.” I tell him, “And I’d like to see you too.” I add as a whisper.

He had no idea just how much I wanted to see him.