Chapter sixteen: The Ellen Show

“And now, we have a last minute guest who I bet none of you people in the audience were expecting at all.” I watched backstage as Ellen hyped up her audience. “He’s here for a very big announcement and he’s bought a guest along that he’d like everyone to know about. It’s only... JUSTIN BIEBER!” Shocked gasps and screams and cheers all went up for his name and I watched as Justin walked along the stage, waving to the live audience and winking into the camera. He greeted Ellen and sat down opposite her, next to his chair was an empty one, a seat that I would soon fill. And then everyone would know.

“I can’t do this.” I turn to Niall, who smiled at me, looking away from Ellen and Justin’s conversation. His smile fades, and his expression turns more serious, but the outer edges of his lips are upturned, telling me that he was trying not to smile at my nerves.

“You can you muppet.” He kisses my cheek and laughs, “You’re such an idiot Lenn. You can do this. I might not have heard the song yet, but I know that it is going to be brilliant. I hear you singing in the kitchen every time you insist on making me breakfast each morning you stay at my flat. You are going to be perfect.” He looks up, where Ellen looked like she was concluding her talk with Justin. “I love you.” He tells me, kissing my forehead, I look away, and Ellen was looking backstage towards me.

“Please welcome, Justin’s newly signed act, singing her song Stop the Clocks it’s...” She looks to Justin and he smiles widely,

“Lennox!” Justin announces, and that’s when it’s official. Lennox was real, Lennox was a singer, and Lennox was on Ellen.

The claps go up and I walk towards the end of the stage, stopping at the microphone. A band was set up behind me, and I look out at the expectant audience. This was the first time they were going to hear my voice, this was the first time that anyone would hear it, I would be welcoming more hate, more critics, but maybe, just maybe, some people could learn to love me.

Sitting on the curb,

Staring at the stars 
Leaning on your shoulder

I wanna cry until I laugh and laugh until I cry

Don't wanna let a single moment of you pass me by

If only I could freeze the frame

You know that I would stay right here for good

I began to chorus, and I didn’t just sing my heart out because everyone was watching expectantly, but because Niall was there, and he was going to know just how I felt, he’d know that my singing wasn’t just for me, but it was for him too.

*

“What a set of lungs you have on you.” Ellen says after the break and I sit down next to Justin.

“Thank you.” I reply politely.

“Now, Lennox, tell us a bit about yourself.” Ellen says, looking down at her cards.

“Ummm.” I stop, looking around. What was I supposed to say?

“Okay, well Lennox here happens to be girlfriend of Mr Niall Horan from One Direction!” People began to cheer. I bet if it was Twitter, people wouldn’t be cheering, they’d be sending me hate. Ellen looks at the screen beside her, where a picture of Niall and I on our first date was shown blown up. “Yes, that’s why your face is so recognisable. You have already handled a lot of hate on Twitter and paparazzi following you around back in England. Isn’t that right?”

“Yeah.”

“Now... tell me how this arrangement, being signed under Justin’s name came about.”

“Well..” I look to Justin for help, I didn’t know what to say.

“Well two days ago, Lennox rang me and sang me the chorus of this song, Stop the Clocks, she hadn’t written it all, she’d written just four lines. And... the minute I heard it, I flew over to England and we planned everything from there.”