Chapter Fourteen. Catnip and Other Things.

Sang woke so early Saturday morning the sun hadn't risen. She lay still so as not to wake Sean. He had been working morning shifts at the hospital since Tuesday, before he showed up at the school in time for his Japanese class. So he had to be tired she thought sneaking quietly downstairs to bathe and get ready for the day.

Wandering into the kitchen she was still thinking to herself and she started to smile. Today was the day, she thought. She was actually going on a mission with the boys. All of them. And she had helped plan it.

They had all gone to the woods behind Nathan's house and tested the paint guns on Wednesday night. They had worked perfectly when they checked the makeshift targets on Friday before Silas, North and Kota had gone and shot out the lights.

Victor and Gabriel had gone with her and Sean late that night for a quick drive by to see if it had worked. It had too. She thought with great satisfaction. Nathan was driving by before dawn with Kota to make sure the paint had stuck. She knew it would though. Gabriel had agreed with the formula used after all, and he was the expert. But it never hurt to be thorough.

Then her mind wandered to Thursday when Silas had handed over the potato gun he had made. This time Kota had arrived to take her to meet some of the others at what looked like an abandoned airfield. She had watched as the guys shot the grappling hook to the top of the brick building checking sound, speed and distances. She smiled when Gabriel had been the best shot with it. The noise had been surprisingly loud in the open space and she had quickly thought of a plan to muffle the sound.

It had worked perfectly and Sang was starting to think that the espionage business might just make an interesting career. Especially for someone like her who had no identity. Her thoughts progressed along these lines until a hand suddenly wrapped itself around her waist and pulled her close.

"Do I even want to know what is going on in that beautiful mind of yours at this time of the day Pookie? Sean asked grinning sleepily.

"Good morning Dr Green." Sang giggled, as he glared and grinned at the same time.

"Dr Green!! Really Pumpkin? And giggling too. I know exactly how fix that."
He smiled and pulled her closer. Several minutes later he rested his forehead on hers "shall we try again? Good morning Pookie," he said huskily.

"Good morning Sean." Sang said softly.

"That's better." He said, only to stop and sigh when he heard the front door open. "That will be Owen for sure. He's the only other lunatic I know that wakes up this early on a day off."

"Hey. Are you suggesting I'm a lunatic." She said turning and grinning.

"Good morning, Mr Blackbourne. You're early."

"Good morning, Miss Sorenson. I thought an early start would be wise, so I brought breakfast. Apparently it's what lunatics do." He glared slightly at his friend, who grinned unrepentantly at him.

"Oh good. Saves making a mess and if the cap fits ...." Sean smartly replied, raising a smug eyebrow.

"Time out you two." Sang quickly intervened before a war of words started. "I'm ready, the chief is ready, now you go get ready. Aren't you working this morning again? "

"Bossy little thing aren't you?" Sean smirked "I like it. A lot." He whispered in her ear as he walked off, chuckling at Sang's blush.

"Ignore him, Miss Sorenson. I do. Frequently. It's all you can do some days to deal with him." Mr. Blackbourne said his eyes grew warm as she grinned some more.

Eating breakfast together Sang asked the million dollar question. "Mr Blackbourne, where is Xavier today?" She was wondering after his escapade earlier that week if Mr. Blackbourne had really left him alone at his house.

Seeing the look on her face he smiled his millimetre smile. "Yes, he's at my home, Miss Sorenson. It's fine," he added as Sean started to laugh. "We can collect him on the way to the diner and he can stay with us there for the morning."

"Miss Jenny was kind enough to have him while we were at school this week, but I wouldn't want to abuse the privilege of her generosity in caring for him on occasion. He will have to get back to his routine this week I'm afraid. No matter how hard that may be." He said, with a hard look at Sean who was having trouble containing his laughter.

And that is how Sang found herself spraying rose bushes and planting companion plants with a very happy cat and a relaxed, benign Owen early on a Saturday morning. They had spent a couple of hours wandering around the nursery selecting plants and supplies they would need before collecting Xavier and starting work saving Uncle's roses from disease.

He wasn't surprised by her knowledge of horticulture after their breakfast the previous weekend, but it was a delight to see that knowledge and confidence in action as she chose the best plants and organic sprays for their needs. He just let her go ahead and enjoy herself.

"I believe Mr Morgan will collect you from Mr Griffin's residence when we have finished, Miss Sorenson. He wants to show you the layout and his collection of hi tech gadgets that we will use tonight." Mr Blackbourne murmured as he shook his head at Xavier, who was currently trying to drag a glove off Sang's hand.

"Miss Sorenson, you let that cat get away with as much as the boys. It may not be a good idea to let him do every single thing he wants."

"He doesn't get away with everything, Mr. Blackbourne." 'Do you precious,' she crooned as she removed her glove to pat him. "He didn't come to Sean's place with you this morning, he didn't keep trying to lie in the fresh dirt after I moved him and I didn't let him pounce all over the catnip we planted either. Besides, he's only little and harmless. How much harm could he do?"

Mr Blackbourne saw the wisdom of shutting up and allowing Miss Sorenson her delusions about the cat, and instead continued to question her about the night's activities.

"How do you feel about tonight? Do you have any questions regarding anything? For instance, are you happy to remain with Victor and Dr Green in the Comms. Van directing the operation?" he asked quietly, feeling relieved when she expressed her satisfaction with her role.

It was a relief, he thought, that she was so interested in the equipment side of things, for the time being anyway. He rather thought it best to ease some of the boys into her doing missions, than dropping her in the deep end. Even if he had a feeling she would be quite happy with that idea too.

Coming out of the diner with cool drinks for the pair Luke stopped to watch them together. His smile widened to a full blown grin as he watched Sang remove Xavier from near a plant, where he was doing his best to be stung by a meandering bee.

His Cupcake was the only person on the planet that could stop that little beast from doing exactly what it wanted, without having their eyes ripped out for their efforts, he thought, as he watched the now simpering pest totally snowing her.

But his eyes really bugged out as he watched Mr Blackbourne reach out and tenderly wrap a lock of Sang's hair around his fingers and gently place it behind her ear, while they talked.

Wow, Luke blinked, when he saw him smile. I can count on two thumbs, maybe, the amount of times I've seen Mr Blackbourne smile like that before we all met Sang, but around Cupcake he can't help himself, he realised.

Luke quietly whipped out his phone and took a photo of the Chief looking as besotted as the rest of them. Everyone knew he was a goner, and he had admitted it outright to the doc. But he didn't see why he shouldn't share a little proof of it with the rest of his brothers he decided, as he hit send on a group message before moving forward to greet a laughing Sang and two of her adoring fans.