Chapter Forty-one. Sam the Man.

Early on the morning of meeting Sam the Man, Owen found Sang wearing a pretty sun dress in the kitchen with classical music playing softly in the background. She was standing on the bench rummaging through a high cupboard trying to reach a tin in the furthermost corner. His eyes widened as he moved quickly. He could hear the boys moving around upstairs, he really didn't need any dramas today and if she slipped he didn't want to think of the fall out.

"What are you looking for, Miss Sorenson?" he spoke softly, so as not to alarm her, and stopped a few feet back from her.

Sang turned around and smiled. "Good morning Mr Blackbourne. I'm trying to reach a biscuit tin but I can't get to it. It's too far back. Quite understandable of course, the people Mr D had put everything back in the house before we got here didn't know I would need it."

The Chief looked at the tins stacked by Sang's feet on the counter. "What's wrong with the ones you've found already?"

"They're not the right one. I need the green and gold one with the knob on the lid, and I can't reach it. I need tongs. That'll work." She decided aloud and started to step over the tins to get them.

Mr Blackbourne looked, smiled and pulled Sang off the counter. "I'm sure I can reach it, if you would allow me," his grin widened as he withdrew it from the cupboard and handed it over, "and Good Morning to you also, Miss Sorenson.

"Hah. This is the one. Thank you," Sang grinned. "Coffee?" she asked, as she took the tin and held up the coffee pot in question.

Owen nodded thoughtfully and gently ran his fingers through Sang's hair as they talked. "Miss Sorenson, the boys have graduated from the Academy. In our personal lives I believe it's time they started calling me by my given name. You also, if that doesn't make you uncomfortable. When we're conducting Academy business I prefer to keep things formal, but not within our family. What's your opinion?"

Sang blinked, shocked at the question. "I'm not really sure, to be honest. The guys have been calling you that for years, and I understand your reasons why. I know that it helped you keep control of everything and the formality was what made you comfortable and able to deal with life. I also know how very much you care about each and every one of us."

Sang sighed softly. "I think it will take some getting used to, for both them and you." She added shrewdly. "The boys consider you as a big brother underneath all the formality, and they recognised your need for distance a long time ago. I think you opening up to them like this is a good thing. As for me, well I don't mind either way. But, if you want me to call you Owen, you'd better be prepared to call me Sang. Can you do that?"

Owen looked admiringly at Sang. He should have known she'd pick up on his reasons for being the way he was, even if she didn't voice them all, and accepting him anyway. She really was incredible. "I think I would like to try." Owen smiled gently. "You'll probably always be my Miss Sorenson in my mind though."

Just as Sang went to reply she heard Luke laugh as he clattered down the back stairs.

"Wow. Cookies for breakfast. You are awesome, Cupcake." Luke exclaimed, walking in and smelling the aromas from the cookies cooling on trays.

"Hands off, Luke." Sang exclaimed, "These are for Sam."

"What! All of them? Come on, Cupcake, that's mean and I will never believe you're mean."

"Well no." Sang admitted "Just the ones that fit in this tin," she explained, holding up the container for inspection.

"Mr Taylor, do you have a death wish? Your brother will be here any moment and you're proposing cookies for breakfast?"

The Sequel.  The Little Rose.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें