Chapter 3 - Dealing with Authority

As I walked towards the staff room numerous scenarios played through my mind. Considering who I would be speaking with, and how much trouble I was in for spreading my theories. Due to the quick response, and how the school was likely to react, it probably wasn't anything serious. More likely Chabashira was panicking, trying to figure out how I had solved the schools secret so quickly, whether I had help, and if she herself was in trouble.

Obviously, since the teachers had been given a script specially worded to give these hints, it was clear that the school expected students to partially figure out the S-System however, I found it unlikely that anyone had ever solved it to the extent I had, let alone on the first day. In consideration of this, it was completely reasonable that the administration would blame Chabashira herself for leaking the information to me. And due to the nature of the school inviting students to discover this themselves, any action taken by teachers to interfere would likely be frowned upon.

Whilst considering these thoughts, I had made it all the way to the staff room. Thanks to the honestly ludicrous amount of spending that went into this school, there was plenty of accurate signage around, making locating the room rather easy.

Reaching it, I knocked on the door, and upon receiving a quiet "come in" I opened it and entered the room.

Waiting inside, not far from the door was Chabashira-sensei. Standing up from the wall, she motioned for me to follow her and walked through the main room, which seemed more like a common room than anything, and entered through a door on the side wall. Following her in, I found myself in a private office, presumably hers.

It was a rather empty room, with not many belongings in it, cold and empty much like the teacher who owned it.

"Take a seat." Gesturing at one of the chairs in front of her desk, she sat in the leather one behind it. Neither of us spoke for a minute, both waiting for the other to be the first. Eventually, though she cracked and broke the silence first. "How did you figure it out?"

"The system? It was rather easy. You gave us quite a few hints in your obviously scripted introduction, and I made my post vague enough that anyone knowledgeable in the situation could fill in the blanks, and eventually confirm whether my suspicions are correct. So, thank you." This response seemed to upset her greatly, her expression souring at falling into my trap, although Kiryuuin had already confirmed everything, so I gained nothing from her response.

"No student has ever figured out the system to that extent before, let alone on the first day, so clearly it wasn't as easy as you said." Saying this, she reached into a draw on her desk and pulled out some papers. "Based on your entrance exam, it seemed you just wanted to be left alone to live a quiet life. Yet you made a scene in front of the class, befriended the narcissist, and not only exposed the system to your fellow classmates but the entire grade. Knowing it's a competition, I can't see the benefit in you doing so?"

"True, I was going to live a quiet life." I explained my reasoning as I looked over the exams. 50 in every subject working from the hardest to easiest, just as intended. "But that was before I saw the level on my classmates. Living a quiet life with them would be excruciatingly painful, let alone boring. So, I decided to have some fun instead." I handed back the exams. I remembered every question still, there was no real benefit to looking at them, besides to prove sensei's point.

"The school has me under investigation, claiming I may have informed you about the S-System. Of course, when they look at the cameras it will be obvious I didn't, but you've caused problems, for everyone in the school."

"You're welcome for making life interesting, sensei. I'm sure you can understand my desire to not deal with such defective students." At my last remark, she finally cracked a smile. It seems I had read her, and the class, correctly.