Arc 3 Chapter 11 - The Reveal

I woke from my rest to hear someone approaching me. I wasn't sleeping, but since I didn't get a chance to sleep last night, I had taken the opportunity to setup my hammock just inside the jungle from the beach and simply lie down for a bit. From where I was, it was unlikely that anyone would show up and find me by accident, but I could also see the boat and would be aware when all the classes made their way down to the beach for the end of the exam.

Which is why it was such a surprise to hear footsteps approaching me.

"It seems you're the only one who knows how to properly have a vacation, Ayanokouji."

Ah. It was Ryuuen. Glancing at my watch, it was almost twelve already, and the classes should be on their way down to the beach now.

"I thought your class did a pretty good job. That was the point of this exam after all."

"Kukuku, don't give me that bullshit. All they know is how to waste points on things they don't need. I bet most of them didn't even enjoy being here, despite having a fucking jet-ski."

He had a point. From what I'd seen, Class C had been having a glorious time on the first few days, enjoying every luxury they could with the points available. But I suspected those were all short-term gratifiers. Ryuuen seemed to understand the way I thought: to enjoy a vacation was to relax, and what better way than to sleep in a hammock by the beach all day.

The real question was why he had approached me. Probably to gloat, thinking he had won, despite me interfering with his plans, but also for my help.

Ryuuen was an entertainer, after all. It was a crucial part in crushing your opponent.

"I assume you're planning your entrance for once everyone else is on the beach?" I cracked an eyelid at this and saw his face leering down at me as I lay here, unprotected and vulnerable. Unfortunately, he would probably be careful about looking for a fight after the brutality I put Horikita through.

"Of course! After all, no one will expect my grand return. Ichinose'll probably shit herself!" He laughed again, imagining the fear he would be putting into the heart of the other classes, realising they had been played. I wondered how long that confidence would last.

"I wouldn't be so confident. You realise every class has put your name down as leader, right?"

"Every class? Does that mean you blabbed to Kanzaki?" He gave me a searching look, although the grin never left his face.

"Of course I did. It wouldn't be fun if Class B was left clueless, woud it?"

"Kukuku finally, someone who understands! It's all about the game, the battle to fight and crush your opponent. To not even hesitate to give your opponent an advantage, every time we talk you get better and better, Ayanokouji!"

He was enamoured with me, it seemed, or at least with the idea that I thought in a similar way to him. Someone ruthless, willing to do whatever it takes to win, even beating down on my own classmates, seemed to be a joy to him. Perhaps he'd never faced someone like that before.

Unfortunately, Ryuuen, I'm far beyond your level.

"You don't seem all that concerned."

"You've already guessed me as leader. Kanzaki doing so doesn't hurt me at all, it only helps him."

So Ryuuen, too, had figured out Kanzaki was the weak point of Class B. Despite seeming to be their strength as a strategist and someone willing to take risks, if they all were united with Ichinose, they probably wouldn't face as many problems, or be as easy to exploit.

"I suppose that's true."

As we were speaking, four groups of students had moved down to the beach, sitting in chairs they had been provided with. Noticeably, two of the groups were half of the size of the others, along with being separated by gender.