Arc 6 Chapter 2.5 - Chabashira is Useful

I left the gymnasium and headed back towards the school. Since the day had ended now, almost everyone else was returning to their dorms, or whatever else they had planned for the rest of the afternoon.

I, however, had business to conduct.

As I passed through the main gate, I ran into Chabashira, who had been waiting for me.

"I'm surprised to see you back here, Ayanokouji. Didn't you know that class was finished for the day?"

I ignored her terrible humour and tried to move the conversation quickly. "I assume you received my email?"

The email I had been working on in class was for Chabashira, after all. It would be strange if she hadn't read it in the free time while we students were at the gymnasium.

"Of course. And I'm sure that you're aware it's an impossible request."

Her denial was surprising, but not completely unexpected. After all, I was asking her to break a rule for the exam, which was grounds for her to lose her job if caught.

"I don't see the problem. I created a participation table that will give us the best chance of winning. Well, almost. I'm also telling you that not a single person has disagreed with this plan, in fact of everyone I've shown it to there has been a complete consensus."

It wasn't a lie. I'd shown it to Kikyou so far, and she'd replied with a thumbs up. A second opinion from someone who knew the class didn't hurt, after all.

"And the entire class agreed to it?" There was a hesitancy in Chabashira's voice, but this was her out. She had been led to believe we all agreed to the plan, nothing more. There was no evidence to the contrary.

"Of course. Make sure that my plan is the one used, if you want to have any chance of success in this event."

There was a thinly veiled threat there. If my plan wasn't used, our entire class could collapse.

Chabashira pursed her lips, contemplating the situation. But in the end, I knew she would agree.

"And what should I do when the entire class agrees to a plan, and asks me to use that one?"

I shrugged. "Do it. Just replace it with mine at the last possible moment. I don't care how many times it's changed, or how many secret plans are submitted, as long as mine is the final result."

In actuality, I suspected it was down to the homeroom teacher of each class to determine what the rules meant. Secretly submitting a plan was a valid strategy, and I was sure that most classes would do it. Unless the homeroom teacher was the one to complain, I didn't think the school would intervene. Chabashira's reluctant acceptance of my plan only lent strength to that theory.

"I'd also prefer it if you didn't tell anyone who's plan it was," I added. "Better to keep people guessing as to who the traitor was."

If this was last semester, the attention would instantly have fallen on me. But there was an artificial war brewing between Horikita and Hirata, neither of which wanted to talk it out, and so each would suspect the other.

"Traitor?" Chabashira seemed surprised at that word.

"Never mind," I brushed her concern off. Now wasn't the time for wordplay. "So?"

Another moment of thought, that I didn't dare interrupt.

"Fine. I'll submit your names." She sighed deeply. "I suppose I'm already too far into your web of schemes to get out scot free now."

Chabashira had already violated several rules to help me out. Backing down now would only lead to trouble for her. Her only choice was to double down on me in order to reach Class A. Truly, she had no more cards to play to secure her position in the school. Everything she had was bet on me. Even those who have nothing, can give their lives. If it came to it, I would claim hers for my victory.

"Good. Make sure to inform me of anyone who secretly tries to submit a participation table. Allow it and make no mention of mine. If anyone asks about it, it doesn't exist. And inform me of anyone who tries to see any of them."

They were a lot of restrictions, but it was important for me to be on top of the situation at all times. Any betrayals I should already know about ahead of time.

"And what if someone asks me to do the same?" For the sake of argument, Chabashira brought up a random point.

"Prioritise mine, obviously. And if anyone has already done this, which I doubt, I want you to void all pre-existing deals. My participation table is the priority for your goal, after all." I didn't think there was a single person in the class that prepared, but I couldn't be certain. It was best to cover all my bases.

Chabashira smirked at my words. "Be glad you said that last part. As a matter of fact, a participation table was submitted not half an hour ago. Almost identical to yours, in fact. I'm sure you can guess who it was then?"

"Kouenji."

So that was where he had snuck off to. I was surprised he had made an effort, but if they truly were similar, I could understand the reason.

"So, you'll still prioritise mine then?" I inquired.

"Yes, Kouenji even mentioned I should do so if you asked me to, and if one detail was the same. It's a moot point now though."

He really had thought of everything, in his desire for personal satisfaction. To be expected from someone who thought of themselves as a perfect existence.

"I guess that's sorted then. Make sure you do the right thing, Chabashira."

I turned and walked away from her and the school, intent on having an afternoon nap. I left so quickly I almost missed the tired remark she made once I rounded the corner.

"These students really are extraordinary. And they're going to be the death of me."

Authors Notes:

Short .5 chapter just for filler info. Not much to say about it.

Couple of things to clarify from last chapter. The winning team does not get 100 class points. I too was under this misconception, and it really fucked up my points calculations when i found out it was wrong. Clearly at some point someone wrote it in a fic, and it's become the assumed thing, but according to canon the only change is -100 for the losing team.

Also, current class rankings are:

Class A (Amikura), Class B (Sakayanagi), Class C (Ryuuen), Class D (Ayanokouji)

As always, hope you enjoyed!