Arc 2 Chapter 7 - Setup

Ichinose caught up to me on the way to Keyaki Mall. It was lucky that she did, because I didn't want to lose my target by waiting for her.

"Hey, Ayanokouji-kun, wait up!"

I slowed down enough for her to catch me, before increasing to the still rather slow pace of a stalker who didn't want to be noticed.

"Good, you caught me. I didn't want to lose sight of her."

"Her?"

Ichinose took a second to look where I was, and see who's path we were following.

"Sakura-san? Why're you following her Ayanokouji-kun? Don't tell me you're a creepy stalker~" It seemed Ichinose couldn't consider me doing such a thing, going as far as to joke about a serious topic.

"Actually, for today I am. That's why I called you here, to help me."

Many girls would have taken that as a confirmation that I was a pervert, yelling loudly or having some bold reaction. Ichinose however, narrowed her eyes and thought through the potentially criminal situation.

"What's going on, Ayanokouji-kun? And no dodging the question."

"Sakura has looked really worried, stressed all day, more uncomfortable in class than usual. I'm worried something has happened."

As I spoke, Sakura looked around once, not noticing the two of us behind a tree watching and proceeded to walk past the entrance of the mall, heading around to the back.

"So, you're following her to make sure everything's ok, right?"

"Yeah. I couldn't just ask her, since due to her nature she'd probably never tell me under pressure. This is the only way to find out what's going on."

"But why did you call me here?"

"I can't be sure that it isn't someone from Class D who's causing this. Out of everyone in the grade, I evaluate you as the least likely person to target Sakura." It was true out of everyone I knew so far, at least. "But I'm also worried it's about the case."

"Sudou-kuns trial? Ah, because you mentioned her name." Once I mentioned the possibility, Ichinose caught on quickly. "You think they might be trying to intimidate her into keeping quiet."

"It's possible, which is why I'm following her, to at least try and keep her safe."

Ichinose considered the situation, before nodding with a determined look on her face.

"Alright, I'm in. I'll help you find out what's wrong with Sakura-san."

"Thanks. Now hurry up, or we'll lose her."

There was no chance in hell that Sakura of all people would ever be able to get away from me, but it did me no good to let Ichinose know how talented I was at stalking. I purposely made mistakes as we followed after her, obvious ones Ichinose could notice, but Sakura never saw either of us as she moved towards the back of the mall.

"Ayanokouji-kun, she just went into that alley!"

Sakura had suddenly turned off the footpath and moved into a small alley behind some shops and storage warehouses.

"Could she be meeting someone?"

"It seems likely. Follow my lead, we'll peak around and see what's happening."

Silently, or as silently as an untrained schoolgirl could, we moved to the side of the building. I peered around the corner very slightly, seeing what Sakura was doing in the alley. After determining that it was safe for her to do so, I gestured to Ichinose to also take a look, both of our heads peeking out very slightly, just enough to see what was happening but not enough to be noticed.