Arc 3 Chapter 6 - Setting the Stage

Kikyou and I made our way back towards the jungle and away from Class C's beach resort. Obviously, she had some questions, but was smart enough to wait until we were in the safety of the jungle to ask them.

We were heading to see how Class B was holding up. Out of all the classes so far, they were at the biggest disadvantage. There was a deal, a plan and strategy between Classes A, C and D, all three of us getting something out of targeting Class B.

And that just wouldn't do.

"What just happened back there? How'd you know what Ryuuen was planning?"

I'd thought it was pretty obvious what Ryuuen was planning, and I'd explained most of it to him to prove I'd seen through it. Apparently Kikyou wasn't capable of connecting the rest of the dots together.

"It's like I said, Ryuuen doesn't care about the exam. He's focusing on the future. Since there's no negatives that can come from this, his strategy is focusing on securing a stable position for his class, while still gaining small advantages, rather than gambling everything on each exam as they come."

"And so, he gave Katsuragi some S-points, in exchange for private points every month. But how'd you know he'd deal with Class A, and want private points?"

We were walking rather slowly, ambling through the jungle while we talked. The Class B camp wasn't far away, and I wanted this conversation to be over before we got there. It wouldn't do for soeone out looking for food to see us before we reached the campsite with the element of surprise. If it was possible we could see who was the leader, though I figured that was unlikely.

"Ryuuen had to barter with someone. It obviously wasn't our class, and the only person in Class B willing to take a calculated risk like that would be Kanzaki, and he's much to suspicious of Ryuuen to be willing to take the deal. The only option left is Class A."

"That doesn't explain how you knew it would be for private points."

"What else is there?" Kikyou silenced and thought for a bit at that. "There's nothing else of value to barter with, especially if you're trading potential class points with S-points. No, Ryuuen really came out on top with this deal."

"So, what, Ryuuen will get a bunch of points?"

"Ryuuen gave them 200 or so S-points. That's technically the equivalent of 20,000 private points per person if Class A can save them, so Class A will be paying him back 20,000 points per person for the rest of school. A deal which immensely favours Ryuuen, and hamstrings Class A severely."

"Wait, that's actually a terrible deal! Why would Katsuragi take it?"

I could hear some faint voices up ahead, so I stopped where we were, inside a small grove. Class B wasn't far away, and there was no reason to rush. I doubted our campsite would catch fire even if Kikyou left for a couple of hours.

"I don't think he really has a choice. Katsuragi is basically already finished as class leader. He needs to win this exam by a huge margin, no matter the future consequences, or he's never going to get another chance. And if he loses, the deal will still hurt Sakayanagi. Katsuragi isn't gambling much himself."

Kikyou was staring at me with wide eyes as we unravelled the last of Ryuuen's plan. It seemed she finally understood how strong of a position Ryuuen had been in before we interrupted, and how little chance we had had of winning.

Katsuragi too, had made a bold gamble on his final chance of being leader, going all or nothing with this opportunity to win. It would never have worked though, even if I hadn't interfered. Ryuuen's plan was too good, and someone from Class A would have betrayed.