Chapter 4 - An Eventful Afternoon

Now that my business with the Student Council was over, I finally had a chance to explore the school. My freedom was finally achieved. Even though this was still a prison of sorts, there was far more freedom, and I could make decisions for myself here.

Three years. I had three years to learn what it was like to live in society, how to interact with ordinary people, how to be human.

Unfortunately, while I had met some very interesting people such as Kiryuuin, Manabu and Nagumo, the people I had intended to interact with and learn from were my classmates.

My dull, stupid, shallow classmates. And I had blown that opportunity completely this morning. It was extremely unlikely that they would move on and forgive me for my attitude this morning, so some form of intervention would likely be necessary. Perhaps a sob story. From my readings in literature, a sad story to guise an apology was an effective method of garnering sympathy, especially with girls. Something to contemplate before class tomorrow.

For now, though, I needed to eat something. It was mid-afternoon, and I hadn't eaten food since breakfast. While I am capable of going days without food thanks to my training, it was not an ideal situation to be in.

As I approached the first-year dorms, I saw there was a small store nearby. It appeared to sell many necessities needed for a simple life, and most notably, ingredients and cooking utensils. Over the past year, Matuso had gone to great lengths to ensure I was capable of cooking high quality and nutritious meals, even with limited ingredients.

In order to save points, it was essential to cook meals. Even though I had warned my classmates, they most likely would not listen due to a stubborn refusal to accept me as someone better than them, and hence the number of points we received next month would certainly be much less. Cooking food was almost always cheaper, for both lunches and dinner. Obtaining a bento box should also be possible in this store, as that would allow me to save on lunches as well as eat where I want to.

This school was rather large, however, and so I should not make a static judgement so quickly. It was possible that on the far corner of campus or hidden in an alleyway there was a small store with cheap food that could rival my cooking. Of course, this was unlikely, but I could not rule it out until I had explored the entirety of campus.

Unfortunately for me, as I entered, I saw one of my classmates who was certain to detest me.

Standing in the isle of ingredients, which I was heading to was Horikita, my seatmate, and the girl that Kouenji and I had humiliated the most out of the class. Although she hadn't done much not only was she shot down by our double-pronged attack, but she also inadvertently insulted the rest of the class earning their ire as well.

As she stood there comparing two different products, I walked up to her and attempted to start a conversation. Despite her incredible hindering superiority complex, she was an intelligent person, and based on small observations she was rather fit too, probably above average when it came to athletics. Her nature was based in reason, however she simply did not consider the possibility of anyone being better than her. Also, her disregard for those below her, ironically, made her unable to act as someone superior, in the sense of a leader, since no one would ever follow someone with an attitude such as hers. Based on what I had observed in the class, she was one of the most observant students, and if she abandoned her superiority complex, she would make a great leader. Perhaps then the class could become a little more interesting.

Until she did that, I would needle at her and slowly chip away at this facet of her personality and make her into someone worth my time. A return on my investment, I suppose. If she was anything like her brother, then her potential would most certainly be worth developing, if only to see what chaos she could bring to the other three classes.