Arc 6 Chapter 4 - Training

Until the Sports Festival, our physical education periods had been turned into free practice time.

Which meant at the first opportunity Sudou had dragged all the boys out measure our grip strength. For most events the best way to determine participants was either volunteers or testing running, but Sudou had decided that grip strength was the ultimate deciding factor in the tug-of-war participant list.

And so, he had gathered all of those he thought had potential, and requisitioned two devices from the school to use. It was very strange seeing him being so proactive, but clearly Sudou had changed significantly. He had been nominated to lead the training for the class, and had taken on the job with great seriousness. This was his one chance to show off and prove his value, which was why Sudou was putting in so much effort. For is exam, he was one of the leaders.

"Right! All the boys from the class are here, and we're gonna figure out who the strongest of ya are!"

"Don't you think we should have the girls here, Sudou?"

Hirata was still rather cold when it came to Sudou, possibly since he was a direct opponent in his mini-war, but ever the reasonable man, Hirata didn't let it affect their working relationship too much.

"Eh? Why the hell should we? We need the four strongest for the four-way tug-of-war, so why the hell should we get them?"

Hirata gave a visible sigh, obviously not keen on the conversation. He wasn't so much an advocate for gender equality, as giving the girls a chance too. At least, he wasn't delusional enough to think that there was a girl in our class capable of matching up with the boys we would be facing. Not to say there weren't any strong girls, just there were enough boys stronger.

"Fine. Hand out the devices then."

Smiling with his success at reasoning with Hirata, Sudou passed one of the devices to him, and kept the other for himself.

"Right! I'm definitely gonna be one of the tug-of-war guys, and make Suzune's plan work! Uraaah!" Sudou said with an appropriate bellow.

His shoulders shook while he tightly gripped the device in his right hand. The numbers on the digital readout shot up rapidly. In an instant they climbed to 50, then 60, then over 70. In the end, the number on the digital display was 82.4 kilograms.

It was an impressive result, far higher than what the average probably was. Sudou was in no way feeble.

"Wow, that's incredible Sudou!" Even Miyaki was really impressed by Sudou's strength.

"Here, Kouenji. You do it now!" Sudou handed the grip strength device to Kouenji, who looked at it for a second and laughed.

"Ha! If you insist on having me embarrass you, Red-kun, who am I to deny you."

"Tch. Do you best, idiot." Sudou did an impressive job of ignoring the insult, and handed the device to Kouenji. Everyone stopped, even Hirata, who was writing down his score of 57.9, to watch as the bold man grabbed the device from Sudou's hands.

He squeezed it slightly and the number jumped up to 43.6

"Eh?! What the hell?"

We all watched as Kouenji slowly but steadily increased his grip, and the number kept going up and up, passing Hirata's and even passing Sudou's without any sign of slowing down.

Eventually, it began to reduce in growth, and Kouenji, visibly struggling for the first time that I had seen, was gripping the device with all his might at 115.7 kilograms.

"What the FUCK Kouenji!"

Everyone was in awe of the insane number, almost high enough to break records. In a few years, once his body developed more, I had no doubt that Kouenji would do so. He was only 15 right now, and still had far to go.