Chapter 10 - Obtaining a Pawn

I couldn't get to sleep, so I got up and left. I bought some juice from the lobby's vending machine and headed back for the elevator.

I could see that the elevator had stopped on the seventh floor. Curious, I decided to check out the CCTV, which showed what was happening inside the elevator car. I saw Horikita, still dressed in her school uniform.

While there was no real need to hide, my curiosity on what Horikita, who famously had no friends, would be doing this late at night was insatiable. Perhaps, like me she had wanted a drink, but more likely she had a more private goal in mind.

Hiding myself in the shadows, I followed her for a short distance, however, I instinctively hid again after I turned the corner. Horikita stopped in her tracks. I sensed another person was with her. Taking out my phone, I started to record the situation. On Horikita could prove useful.

"Suzune. I didn't think you'd follow me this far." Ah, so it was Manabu she had a rendezvous with. Logically that should have been my first conclusion since there was no one else in school she could be communicating with, but I had assumed based on his disdain for her character he would ignore her completely.

"Hmph. I'm far different from the useless girl you once knew, nii-san. I came here to catch you." An admirable goal, but something she was incapable of accomplishing. While she cut off other people, she would never be able to reach Manabu's level.

"Catch me, hmm? I heard you were placed in Class D. I suppose nothing has really changed in the last three years. You've always been fixated on following me, and as a result you don't notice your own flaws. Choosing to come to this school was a mistake."

"That's... You're wrong about that. I'll show you. I'll reach Class A right away, then—"

"It's pointless. You will never reach Class A. In fact, your class will fall apart soon enough. Things at this school aren't as simple as you think."

"I will definitely, definitely reach—"

"I told you, it's pointless. You really are a disobedient little sister."

As much as I respected the President, it was disappointing to see how he failed to understand the relationship between the two of them. If he truly wanted her to change, this was never going to be a successful method, simply because she idolised him. In fact, his attempt was likely doomed from the start. For the person one idolises to tell them not to be like them, to stop emulating them would always fall on deaf ears. The only way to ensure that the follow listens and understands is to have a fall from grace, to become realistic again in their eyes. That was something Manabu, with his innate talent could never do. In Horikita's eyes he would always be the ultimate existence, and he couldn't change that view of him, himself.

He grabbed his younger sister by the wrist—she offered no resistance—and pushed her against the wall. This night was turning out even better than expected. Not only leverage over Horikita but Manabu as well.

"No matter how I try to avoid you, the fact remains that you're my little sister. If people around here learned the truth, I would be humiliated. Leave this school immediately."

"I-I can't do that... I will definitely reach Class A. I'll show you!"

"How incredibly stupid. Do you want to relive the pain of the past?"

"Nii-san, I..."

"You possess neither the abilities nor the qualities needed to reach Class A. Get that through your head."

He moved forward, as if about to act. The situation looked fraught with danger. Resigned to facing Horikita's anger, I leapt out from my hiding space and went after her brother.