Arc 4 Chapter 1 - Daily life on a cruise

It had been three days since the Island Special Exam had ended. Since then, the entire grade had been allowed to enjoy the vacation we were originally promised on the cruise, albeit with some caution and hesitancy from most people.

It was understandable, seeing how the island exam was such a surprise, but at this point, most people had started to relax, enjoying the cruise the way they had originally intended, doing whatever they wanted.

And that was how I had ended up in the underbelly of the cruise ship, following the piping to hopefully solve my problem, whilst being followed by two of my roommates.

"You two really shouldn't be down here you know."

Yukimura, one of the best at academics and worst at sports was following behind Kouenji and I, as we hunted for the solution to our problem.

"Silence yourself glasses. The fate of my very existence is at stake here, and if demon-boy and myself cannot solve this problem you too will suffer our fate."

Kouenji was exaggerating somewhat, although to him it was probably true. However, he wasn't wrong. If we didn't solve this issue now, it would be too late.

"If you aren't going to help us then leave, Yukimura. We're on a serious quest, so steel your heart or give up now."

It was a dramatic statement, but I was getting into character. Perhaps it was the ridiculousness of the situation, but I was enjoying this, at least a little.

"Hey, I'm just following you to make sure you don't break any rules. We aren't supposed to be down here in the first place."

No, students weren't supposed to be down here. This was one of the workers corridors, and an underused one at that. The wall was lined with different pipes, transferring various liquids and air around the ship, and weren't meant to be tampered with. Unfortunately, for the sake of our safety I would have to break this rule.

It had been three days of relaxation, and for the boys in the room across from us, being Ike, Yamauchi, Sudou and Sotomura, they had left their room only a couple of times. I had seen them outside a total of twice, both for meals, and the smell of their room had started to creep out through the gap beneath the door.

One of them had had the genius idea to stick the 'no cleaning' sign on the door to their room, so when the daily cleaning came through, their room was missed. If it continued any longer, the smell would reach our room, and our doom would be sealed.

It was imperiatve that we acted now.

"I believe this is the correct one, Ayanokouji-boy."

Kouenji, unwilling to risk filth from the ship coming into contact with his person, pointed to the correct pipe out of the mass that we had been looking through. There were at least a hundred of them, but luckily, they were all named, and Kouenji had managed to find the correct one.

"Ah, thanks."

"This benefits me significantly, hence it would be remiss of such a perfect existence to reap the rewards without assisting in any way."

His warped way of thinking aside, Kouenji could prove to be quite helpful when the mood struck him.

"Wait, you aren't planning to do anything with the pipes are you?! Are you crazy?"

"Why did you think we were down here otherwise, then?"

"Use your brain glasses-kun, it's your one somewhat redeemable feature. Where on the ship are we?"

Yukimura, his face flushed with anger at the insult, did his best to ignore Koueji's words and considered the question. It took him a moment, perhaps as he tried to conceptualise the ship in his mind, before figuring it out.