Arc 7 Chapter 1 - No Rest for the Wicked

The relaxed happiness in the room was shattered the moment Chabashira walked in.

The sports festival had finished just the day before, and the entire class was celebrating our success and results. There was a cheerful air, of satisfaction and hope. This was the third exam in a row that our class had won, and what could be argued away as a fluke before could no longer be ignored.

We, Class D, the defective and worst class in the school, were the biggest threat in the grade.

At least, that was how it appeared to an outward observer, and even then, it would be considered an exaggeration.

In reality, I had spent the entire morning brushing off people trying to talk to me. A constant barrage of compliments, conversation attempts and even flirting was getting on my nerves at this point.

In just one day, the entire class's perception of me had shifted into a rather annoying state. While I was most definitely not the social outcast from the start of the year, or the begrudgingly put-up-with existence from our cruise onwards, this newfound acceptance of me was frustrating to say the least.

I had no intention of being a central person in my class, of being a leader people would listen to. That wasn't how I worked, and it was more trouble than it was worth. I had set up Horikita, Hirata to lead, Kikyou to unite the class and manipulate it in the direction I wanted. I myself had no intention of taking up that role, nor of interacting with people for no purpose. It simply wasn't worth my time.

"Aren't you popular this morning," my seatmate muttered to me quietly.

"I notice you're rather the opposite," I retorted.

"There's not much I can do about that," Horikita said with a resigned tone. "Circumstances have caused a rather unfortunate turn of events." I noticed her eyes flickered briefly to where Hirata was sitting, chatting simultaneously with several people.

"Is there a problem with how the situation turned out?" I asked curiously. Horikita had given me her opinion yesterday afternoon, but I was interested in whether it would have changed overnight.

"Purely considering the results and our chances of reaching Class A, not particularly. However, I'm loath to trust a situation within which I have no control."

"That I can understand," I acknowledged, earning me a glare.

"I'm incapable of leaving my future in the hands of another person. I simply can't trust them to succeed when my involvement might make a difference. Also," she said with a steel in her voice, "I have my pride to consider. I'm not going to roll over and give up."

"Your ego never ceases to amaze me, Horikita," I mused.

Another glare, followed by a resigned sigh.

"Yes, I can admit I am rather egotistical when it comes to my actions and beliefs, although they are backed up by empirical evidence, which does make it hard to separate confidence from ego. But I'm certain my involvement in the class can make a difference for the better, and I will not abandon us to the whims of someone who admitted they would sacrifice our chances to reach Class A to save a single person."

Internally, I agreed completely with Horikita. Hirata, while capable enough, wasn't someone I truly trusted to lead our class, to give complete control of decision making to. But it was much more fun to tease her.

"But mostly it's your hurt pride, right?"

Horikita didn't deign to respond to that jab.

Before our conversation could continue any further, Chabashira entered the room, a pile of papers in her hands. Slowly but surely, the entire class returned to their desks, tensions mounting as they noticed the look on her face.