Arc 2 Chapter 4 - Shizuku

That evening I got a call from Kushida. This was unusual, due to the fact that whenever she wanted to talk, she would just barge in using the key card I gave her, knowing I never had visitors, or send me a message.

"Good, you're still up." So she wasn't even going to act civil over a phone call.

"I was going to go to bed in a bit. Did you need something?"

"Sakura's digital camera was broken, right? Since it was somewhat my fault, I had to offer to go get it fixed with her. Though if she just pulled herself together this never would have happened."

This wasn't the time to let Kushida go on a rant.

"So why call me about it?"

"It's also your fault for getting us both to the special building. You need to come along as well."

"That makes no sense whatsoever. I had nothing to do with the camera breaking."

"Doesn't matter, you're coming along. Sakura wants you to."

That was interesting. I wondered why she would want me to come along just to repair her camera. Perhaps it was a guise to tell me more about the case. It wasn't easy for her to speak up, so this excuse could have been her plan.

"Sakura asked for us?"

"No, I offered to help her. The last thing I want is to spend more time with her, but if it gets more information, I suppose I can suffer through. She said she'd go if you came along."

Interesting. But I wouldn't find out for sure until we went to the electronics shop. It had been a while since I went there and would be good to check if they had any new stock.

"Fine. Text me when we're going, and I'll come along." Hopefully she tells us some more info, or this will be an even bigger waste of time. "Is that everything?"

"Well... yes, I suppose that's all." So, she had more to say but chose not to. "I'll see you then, Ayanokouji-kun."

"Okay. And afterwards you can tell me what you wanted to say just now."

"Ah. Uh, I suppose. I'll be coming to let off some steam then anyway, I need a break." That was surprising. Kushida had never told me that before, favouring barging in at her convenience. Perhaps she had come to trust me a bit.

"Goodnight, Kushida."

"Goodnight, Ayanokouji-kun." This last part was spoken with a whisper, almost embarrassed. I didn't bother trying to understand for now though. The mind of a girl, especially one as convoluted as Kushida's was far beyond my ability to comprehend. For now, I needed to figure out what to do with Sakura.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

On Sunday afternoon, I went to the shopping mall to meet Kushida and Sakura. It was important that I accept her requests when she makes them. If our relationship was ever going to become closer to trust, and I did want that to happen, she needed to know that if she needed help, I would give it.

I would like to get along with Kushida. To find out what it's like to have a friend. It would take a lot of work, but I could see her as someone close to me one day. Perhaps once we grow more comfortable with each other, but for now she would continue keeping me at an arm's length.

One that seemed to have slightly shrunk.

"Good morning!"

In the surrounding hustle and bustle, Kushida drew nearer, a wide smile on her face.