Arc 3 Chapter 4 - Setting up camp

"Oi, Ayanokouji! What are you doing up there!"

"Sleeping. Isn't that obvious?"

I was being facetious but I had no intention of dealing with my classmates today. If they wanted to set up a proper campsite that was up to them. I would win the exam, and in return the least they could do was leave me alone.

I couldn't tell them that though, without giving away my intentions.

"But where'd you get the hammock?"

Ike was the one questioning me now. It seemed he'd taken somewhat of a leadership position in the class, which surprised me. I wondered how that happened, but it didn't really matter.

"I bought it. We're here for a holiday, right? So, I spent two points to relax."

That was not the right answer apparently. The entire class had now reached the campsite, and upon hearing my opinion they began to yell again. Apparently, the arguments hadn't been resolved, just suppressed.

"Don't waste points, dumbass!" "This is our chance to get ahead of the other classes!" "If he can have a hammock why can't the girls have a toilet!"

The divide between the girls and boys had only deepened in my absence. All of this yelling was getting on my nerves.

"Everyone be quiet!" Surprisingly the class quieted down at my voice. "Food costs 5 points to feed the class for a meal, right? I found two days' worth of corn, it's just down there. So don't yell at me about my hammock."

I laid back down in it, not paying attention to the classmates below me. Really, this was ridiculous. I saved them 30 points and cost two. In actuality the amount of corn there should be enough for the entire week, but I didn't think there was ever a chance the entire class could ration themselves on minimal amounts of food for a week without losing their sanity. A shame.

The class was quiet for a bit after what I had said, probably weighing pros and cons of whether my actions were acceptable. Kikyou was the first to speak up.

"I think it's ok. Good job getting the food, Kiyotaka-kun, it's a huge help!" Good work Kikyou.

Most of the class seemed to agree with her, and started moving again heading towards the card reader, and began setting up the meagre equipment they had. Horikita claimed the spot, and the boys and girls began setting up the two tents they had with them. I could see Kikyou in the middle of everything, issuing orders and talking with Yukimura and Ike.

She must be hating the situation, but at the same time she was the queen bee of Class D. There weren't many people questioning or hesitating with her orders, leaving her in firm control of the class. I had told her to not let them spend many points, but this was more than I had expected.

I would have to congratulate her later, but in the meantime, I had to deal with the last few annoyances below me.

"Ayanokouji, get down from there. And give us the hammock."

What?

"Yeah, you don't need it, so give it to us girls. Isn't it a man's job to make sacrifices for us?"

Karuizawa and Shinohara were waiting below me, demanding me give up what was mine. The audacity of these two was impressive, if not incredibly irritating.

"No."

"Give it to us, Ayanokouji! I'm not sleeping on the ground."

"So I should?"

"Like Karuizawa said, you should make sacrifices for us! Now get down and go help out the others."

"Neither of you are helping," I pointed out. They just wanted an excuse to not do work. Also, I didn't think either of them were capable of climbing the tree high enough to reach my hammock.