Arc 3 Chapter 2 - Island Time

I separated from Kikyou not much later and made my way back to my room to pack for the island trip. The school had informed us to pack our phones and luggage, leaving everything else behind. This was just another piece of suspicious evidence on the mountain the school had provided. Why would we need to bring our luggage, and why would we need to leave anything personal behind? There was no logic to bringing our luggage, if we were staying on the boat at night, and there was no need to not bring our personal items if we were staying on an island resort, of which there obviously wasn't one.

After changing into my jersey, I made my way back to the deck to disembark, standing to the side watching all the other students mingling around like sheep.

I wasn't particularly paying attention to them, however, as there were five students in particular I was focusing on, and trying to determine just what they were thinking or had reasoned out.

Ryuuen was standing alone for once, all his cronies pushing towards the front in order to try and get off first, sans Albert, who was standing beside a silver-haired girl, Shiina Hiyori. I wondered at the nature of that friendship, as they didn't seem remotely similar, but for now it wasn't important.

Ryuuen had his usual vicious grin plastered across his face, probably amused at the chaos caused by 160 students all pushing towards the front, but his eyes were narrowed, darting across both the island, and the teachers. Clearly, he was trying to figure something out, finding the hints at least suspicious, but whether he had pieced any more together I couldn't tell.

Katsuragi, much like Ryuuen, had taken a place towards the back of the crowd. Unlike Ryuuen, however, he had a calm confident look on his face. I wasn't much surprised at this, given that he had extra information over everyone else, and I had seen him take note of the announcement earlier. Katsurai was expecting the unexpected, and whatever happened, he seemed to feel ready.

Kanzaki too stood to the back, although he had a few friends around him. They were all discussing exciting ideas from what I could hear, given how close to them I was, but the leader was silent, hand on his chin and head tilted down, the model picture of contemplation. I was pleased to see he found the entire situation too good to be true. I had high hopes for Kanzaki and would have been disappointed if he had simply accepted the holiday at face value.

Ichinose was the biggest disappointment, outwardly. In actuality, I was impressed by her behaviour. I knew she had been suspicious of this trip for the last month or so, but she showed no sign of it now. Whether it was an act to rise in her classes respect, or she genuinely was this way I wasn't sure, but she was bouncing around between every student, class member or no, with a positive and energetic attitude, getting everyone she talked to excited for the island. An interesting strategy of hers, I wonder if it could make up for the loss of face she suffered with the exams.

And lastly, Horikita was...

Great. Horikita was sick. I could see her leaning on a railing, face pale and legs wobbling slightly. She had clearly just woken up, probably trying to rest and combat her illness, but this was no good. How was I supposed to live up to my promise if she broke at a slight breeze? She really looked unhealthy.

Fabulous.

"We will disembark now, beginning with the students from Class A. Cell phones are prohibited on the island. Please hand your phone to your homeroom teacher as you leave."

Following the loudspeaker's command, the students went down the stairs in an orderly fashion.

"Come on. Hurry up! Even though we're wearing thin clothes, we're all sweating!"

There was no place to hide from the sun on the ship's deck. No surprise that people were complaining. The Class D students waited on standby in the heat.