Arc 3 Chapter 5 - Class C

I woke up in the middle of the night, when my body sensed some danger near me. I could hear the rustle of the grass as multiple people, I wasn't sure how many, were walking around, growing closer to me before stopping directly underneath my hammock.

I could hear their voices now, not enough to distinguish who they were, but I could tell it was two people. Clearly, they planned something to do with me, but what could they be after at 1 in the morning?

"Get on."

"Ok, I'm ready."

"Are you sure you can handle this?"

"Oof, you're pretty big. Just give me a moment. Ok, you can go now."

"Gnnn, this is rough."

"Sorry, I'm doing my best."

"Are you close?"

"I'm almost there... I'm so close, just a little longer..."

I gave up any pretence of sleeping and leaned over the side of my hammock to see what was going on.

"What are you two idiots doing now?"

Ike and Yamauchi collapsed in a heap on the ground at their surprise of me being awake.

"Ayanokouji! What are you doing awake right now! It's the middle of the night."

"Yeah, what gives! Trying to spy on us?"

"I was asleep until you two came and woke me up, so it seems I'm the one who is owed an explanation."

They looked at each other guiltily, fidgeting, before Ike finally answered.

"We were trying to get your hammock."

That had been obvious. I had seen Yamauchi standing on Ike's shoulders, boosted up high enough so that he could try and untie my hammock from the tree. As soon as I had spoken, Ike had given out in shock and the two of them had fallen on top of each other.

"Seriously, leave it alone. It's the middle of the night, go back to sleep."

"It's not fair! How come you get a hammock and we have to sleep in a tent with stupid ugly boys!"

"So, you are sleeping with your people, then?"

"What?" It seemed they were too sleep deprived to comprehend what I had just said.

"God, the two of you are stupid. Did you really think I wouldn't notice if you stole my hammock while I slept in it?"

"Well... I suppose..."

"Go back to bed, you defective morons. You can't have my hammock, is that really so hard to understand?"

This was getting ridiculous.

"Fine. But we will get your hammock eventually! You can't guard it forever!"

"Yeah! Don't test us, Ayanokouji, or I'll have to force you to stay away from Kikyou-chan."

He was still on about that. Well, their value had been determined in my mind, thanks to this. Ike had provided useful skills and had been generally beneficial to the class this exam, but it wasn't enough to make him worth anything in our class.

Yamauchi... the less said about him the better.

The two perverts made their way back to the tent they were staying in. Before night, we had purchased two extra tents, each holding eight people comfortably as well. This meant that my squishing up together, we had managed to get everyone inside a tent, except for me, as I insisted on sleeping outside in my hammock.