Arc 5 Chapter 1 - Birthday Shopping

"I don't understand why I would need to get a present."

Kikyou sighed in frustration, before collapsing down onto my bed in front of me. "Look, don't you care at all about how the class sees you? What am I saying of course you don't. But it does matter. Do you have any idea what most people in the class think of you?"

"A loveable trustworthy friend?"

"No, that's me. Most people think you're a dick. Sure, you pulled it back by being useful in the last two exams, but it doesn't change the fact that most people can't stand you."

That was the same conclusion I had drawn, which made me even further baffled as to why I was involved with a birthday. "If that's the case, why would I be welcome at a birthday party?"

"Because Inogashira is one of the few people who doesn't dislike you." She sat up, frustration at my befuddlement evident on her face. "You might not care what other people think of you, but it's important to have a good image."

The evidence of that statement was sitting on my bed lecturing me right now. "That doesn't apply to me though. I don't need them to cooperate. I get nothing out of making an effort."

It was an interesting argument she posed, one that almost all people who sought a powerful position would follow. It was important to have a good image, as someone likeable and trustworthy, reliable and kind. To act like Hirata, or to live like Kikyou did. It was an easy method to get people to like you, and in turn gain the benefits of such connections.

The only issue with that was I didn't need them. If I wanted to become someone's friend for their help, then I would. If I needed assistance, there were multiple ways to ensure someone's loyalty. This was simply too much effort for something I didn't care about.

Kikyou jumped up and marched towards me. "That's. Not. The. Point." She argued, punctuating each word with a poke of her finder. "There's about eight people in the class who don't mind you, at least enough to put up with you. The rest of them hate your guts. You can win as many exams as you like, take all the credit, nothing will change. No amount of class points is enough to change their opinions. Most of those retards are delusional enough to think we can win without you, that Horikita or Hirata could take your place. And if you don't change that, sooner or later there's going to be a serious problem!"

She finished her tirade with a shout, panting slightly from the energy behind it. It seemed Kikyou felt much more strongly about this than a simple concern over my image. But what could... oh.

"Are you worried about me?"

It was a concern I had taken under consideration months ago. My attitude was generally disliked by the class from the very first day, but I didn't find that too concerning. There was no one in there that gave me cause for concern in the event they turned on me and tried to expel me. It was possible that their negative feelings could be manipulated by Sakayanagi or Ryuuen, but even then I wasn't worried, since my classmates would inevitably make a mistake.

The only real danger came in the form of special exams, and even then, I was confident in my ability to succeed. If the class ever seriously had a problem with me, I could publicly make myself valuable enough to keep, and dissuade all but the most determined gremlins from their crusade against me.

No, I had nothing to be concerned about. But clearly Kikyou did. She must have made the same calculations, the same considerations, but without knowing the extent of my capabilities there was still room for doubt in her mind. And that worry led to this conversation, and her own way of trying to help me succeed.

"Obviously. Jeez, I'm trying to help you here. Getting people to like you is literally what I do best."

I could feel the exasperation flowing through the room as she crossed her arms staring angrily up at me. I gave her an amused look in response.