Chapter 6 - Blissful Weeks

The next few weeks passed by rather quickly, with only a few but notable events occurring.

The first thing I did was to make sure I understood the other three classes. Eventually, I would need to consider the upper years, especially Nagumo, who seemed to have it out for me, but for at least the moment the biggest dangers would come from Classes 1-A, 1-B and 1-C.

Out of those, I would rank 1-C the most dangerous. The class was rules with an Iron Fist by a student named Ryuuen. At first, he seemed to be a simple brute, a delinquent ruling through fear and prowess alone, however, after watching him for a few days it became clear that wasn't the case. His eyes were full of intelligence, constantly darting around and analysing everything in his field of sight. He was someone who would plan for every eventuality and wouldn't hesitate to use underhanded methods to claim victory. On top of that, he had somehow tamed the black giant Albert, a huge man, which to me feels like the must be more to the situation. From what little I had seen of Ryuuen, and the glimpse of one fight he had, I could tell there was no way he defeated Albert in a straight fight.

In summary, his class was a threat.

Class 1-A would be the highest on my list, except for the giant schism throughout their class. Two potential leaders had emerged, and while it was clear to me that Sakayanagi was by far the more competent one, about half the class favoured the bald man Katsuragi. Both were very different, based on the limited recon I could manage. With a class already suspicious of each other, an outsider would stand out to any of them like a sore thumb, making it very difficult to find out information. Katsuragi, from what I had seen, was an intelligent and calm man, always prepared to smooth a situation over, seemingly never on the offensive. He appears to favour a defense only approach, which while effective usually, would never work in a school like this, with students like Ryuuen and myself, who if outsmarted him would have complete and total victory.

For this reason, I suspected Sakayanagi would come out on top. She seemed aggressive, intelligent, and ruthless despite her disability. During the first week I witnessed her take control over a pawn named Masumi, effortlessly manipulating the situation. I could tell she thought similarly to me and was possibly the single most dangerous student in my grade, after myself and Kouenji.

Class 1-B was rather pathetic. They had subscribed to a unity through friendship approach, and it seemed that almost everyone in the class was following with it. Living in a fairy tale, it must be nice for them. Their leader, Ichinose, seemed to be a kind caring girl, much like Kushida, but without a hidden personality. She was everyone's friend and cared for them all. Too much, in fact, and there lay her downfall. Expelling one person from her class would break her completely, and most of the class along with her. Their friendship was too strong it became a weakness, and if forced to choose between victory and losing a classmate or defeat, they would instantly choose the latter.

There was one interesting member of the class, however. Kanzaki. He seemed to be one of the smartest and strongest in the class, and from what I witnessed, while he complied with the Fairy Tale lifestyle, it chafed against him. He would be easily used as a tool to accomplish my end, simply by offering him a chance to take the reins of the class, to break free from the weak mindset. Of course, that is the correct decision on his part, as if left as they are currently, class 1-B will end at the bottom, but taking my hand to do so would only lead to his own destruction.

Of course, whilst the analysis of the classes was important, it was the interactions with the less well-known students that made the weeks interesting.

On the third day, after school had ended, I was approached by a student from class A, named Hashimoto. He was an interesting character, having already sword loyalty to Sakayanagi apparently, yet offering his services to me. I certainly didn't trust him at all, but since he was offering to be useful there was no reason to decline him. Apparently, he had read my post on the school forums and concluded that I would best be an ally. In return I would bring him to my class once it reached class A, which he described as "an inevitability with the king in it." A strange statement, but he seemed sincere, even bringing along a contract that we signed. This was the benefit of being well known, that I would not have had if I lived my peaceful life. People, once they know you, seek you out and opportunities like this arise.